big tank

ncabw

i will be building a 300 to 600 gallon tank. I have a 120g tank with corals right now. i'm thinking of going fish only on my big tank. if i do 300 gallon do i still need like 300 to 450 pounds of live rock for fish only?

kjr_trig

FO to me means a tank would typically have fake coral, a FOWLR is fish with live rock with minimal or no corals. I think in a reef tank it is important to have at least 1 pound of LR per gallon, in a non-reef, I find plenty of swimming space more important, I have about 200 lbs in my 240, which allows my "big swimmers" (Angels, Tang, and Wrasses) plenty of area to swim.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2997453
FO to me means a tank would typically have fake coral, a FOWLR is fish with live rock with minimal or no corals. I think in a reef tank it is important to have at least 1 pound of LR per gallon, in a non-reef, I find plenty of swimming space more important, I have about 200 lbs in my 240, which allows my "big swimmers" (Angels, Tang, and Wrasses) plenty of area to swim.
Yeah; LR is the only tank decor that makes sense to most folks now. However, how much is up to you. The big deal about plenty of LR in a reef tank is that it can keep nitrates down. Nitrates are seldom an issue in a fish-only tank--nitrates don't hurt fish, just inverts. Nitrates can be kept at a reasonable fish-only level (say, 60ppm) with normal water changes. Also; because of the cost of hundreds of pounds of LR, you can add LR as your wallet permits, or use base rock (or even limestone) which will become LR over time. You will, of course, need other filtration to deal with ammonia.