BIGGEST mistake you've made in the hobby

funkysean5

What was the biggest mistake you've ever made in the hobby?
Mine was putting a naso tang in a 29g biocube
. Of course I was a newbie and trusted my LFS all the time. So now let me hear yours!

1990jpyj

i used crushed coral. cuz i was to cheap to buy the sand. now i really wish i had the sand cuz it looks so much nicer.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by funkysean5
http:///forum/post/2816664
What was the biggest mistake you've ever made in the hobby?
Mine was putting a naso tang in a 29g biocube
. Of course I was a newbie and trusted my LFS all the time. So now let me hear yours!

NICE....
Buying a bunch of different brands of buffers and supplements to do the same things because I just took advice at face value when I first started...
trusting nonhobbyists to take care of my tanks when I'm out of town is my BIGGEST mistake EVER!!!!
I've never had a LFS fish liar story though.. I typically expressed common sense with regard to a yellow tang not looking so good in a 20high at 8inches.. lol.

michael1972

my latest one is filling my sump with ro just letting it drip in and you know it is slow and in my old age and ADD i went to work.
getting a call from my son when he got home from school little over 8 hr later.
"dad i think the fish tank is starting a fire"
long story short the sump driped on to the surg protecter and it did its job and turned off i didnt have a big enough sump for my returns that back flowed and over flowed the sump that was allredy over flowning.
so after replacing my surg protector and drying out the plugs i refilled my salt water hmmm that was counted as a water change? well i still didnt change my sump or get a one way valve. i know i know i am getting on it soon ok in a little bit.

btwk12

listening to the guys at my lfs period. they told me crushed coral was fine so i used that. I bought 3 tangs at different times for my 55 and they all lasted about a week i kept bying them because my lfs told me it was fine that they were dying because my ph kept dropping. then i got on here and theres so much good info on here that im doin alot better and i dont go to that lfs anymore.

perfectdark

Adding a scooter blenny to my biocube 29... if that wasnt bad enough it was only running for 2 months. Again LFS advice was this would work, not to worry scooter blennys dont live long anyway... Duhhh thats because they starve to death going by their advice.

nw2salt08

Moving my 29gal with the fish still in it.
They died from the nitrate spike! NEVER EVER AGAIN! lol The only thing that made it was my pink brittle starfish. He's tough as nails to live through that. Surprised he made it...they're so sensitive to stuff like that. That's my biggest mistake so far.

funkysean5

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/2816893
Moving my 29gal with the fish still in it.
They died from the nitrate spike! NEVER EVER AGAIN! lol The only thing that made it was my pink brittle starfish. He's tough as nails to live through that. Surprised he made it...they're so sensitive to stuff like that. That's my biggest mistake so far.
Wow.. thats surprising that he made it.

nw2salt08

Yeah, he had some holes on his body and looked really bad but now he's all healed and happy as can be. He's very active. He's the showstopper in the tank because people only see his arms so they think he's an octopus or somthing. lol They don't know much about saltwater. It's a learning experience. At least I don't have to pay 14.00 per person to go to the aquarium.

1990jpyj

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2816690
eeek thats a time consuming fix lol...
yep i actually just left it for now. i haven't had any problems yet. i do plan on going to a bigger tank so i will fix it at that point. hey it was a good learning experience

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by 1990jpyj
http:///forum/post/2817141
yep i actually just left it for now. i haven't had any problems yet. i do plan on going to a bigger tank so i will fix it at that point. hey it was a good learning experience
Yeah I agree...that's what this hobby is, a continual learning experience.

1990jpyj

yea but its more expensive then my college payments every month. so i guess i should be getting more bang(knowledge) for my buck. if that make any seance ?

oceanlover

My biggest mistake in this hobby was walking into the brand new super deluxe salt water fish store to "just look." Thousands of dollars later . . . . .

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by OceanLover
http:///forum/post/2817195
My biggest mistake in this hobby was walking into the brand new super deluxe salt water fish store to "just look." Thousands of dollars later . . . . .
Mine is very similar...bought a chunk of glass and now I can't find my money...

mboswell1982

i havent quite gone that far, yet, LOL but, my biggest mistake is getting interested, cause now ive gotta have one LOL

unleashed

my biggest mistake ohh yeh its a doozy.. i moved and set my tanks back up lost my refractometer in the many boxes of fish supplies.. went to a local fish supply store purchased a hydrometer figured it would do just as well in a pinch.. I moved majority of tank water with me however i was do for a good water change .. so i mixed my water as i always have checked the sg and it was right on mark... added the water went to bed shortly after.. i woke the next morning to all of my fish dead except my eels.. I was devistated.$20,000 worth of fish dead over night.checked water parimeters all was perfect.. i was stumped maybe it was the move too stressfull on them so i thought.. shortly after i found my refractometer checked the sg again.. I was outraged by my findings.
..hydrometer reading was 1.024.... ref reading 1.08
I put my fish in brackish water and didnt even know it..