bio balls or no bio balls

clownbuddies

I am getting ready to set up a 55 bow tank. I inherited a wet/dry system with bio-balls. I am reading that bio-balls are not a good thing. Should I use the wet/dry system without the balls. Is that possible?

bdhough

If you are going to get live rock bio balls are not necessary. Live rock harbors enough bacteria for the tank, which is essentially what bioballs culture....

T

thomas712

At least to cycle If you have the bio balls already then definatly use them, IMO they are one of the best things when going through a cycle. After that if you want to remove them do so slowly, a couple of hand fulls a week.
If you can't afford "enough" live rock then use the bio balls and as Kip says use a prefilter cleaned once a week.
You can forget that Nitrate factory trap CRAP, because it just isn't true. Although the end result and function of the bio balls will leave nitrates and not break them down is true enough, the same holds true of any mechanical filter, canisters, UGF, saddle filters, powerfilters, sponge filters...all of them. Even a DSB if not properly maintained can be a nutrient sink that can be accused of being a time bomb waiting to explode or so they say, and say, and say over and over again. Keep in mind that every SW Hobbiest will have to have a plan to export the build up of Nitrates...ie Water changes, DSB, denitrator coil, nitrate sponges..etc..
Regular maintinace will take care of ANY such problems in a wet/dry with bio balls. There your balls, protect them with a prefilter, keep them clean, and they will serve you well.
On the other side of the coin, many will not use them and try to go for a more natural way of reef keeping. Like the DSB, refugium, Sump with live rock/ macro algea. Once again many choices here. Up to you to map out how your system will be setup.
Bottom line--- Many ways to setu up a tank. You weight the options. The goal is the same. A great tank.
Thomas
Why must I always get emotional about these things. :confused:

cincyreefer

I agree with Thomas... Bio Balls seem to get played out as an enemy in filtering, when they are the most efficient unnatural filtration method. Anything can become one of these "Nitrate factories" that everyone makes a big deal about. The bottom line is that water changes and cleaning of filter media is required, just not as often if you are using some method of de-nitrification.

lesleybird

Hi, I am getting a new 65 gallon tank in a month or two. I am getting a built in overflow but I just can't see how those bioballs are all that great.....maybe it's just me, but I don't like them. I currently have a little 40 gallon in which I use a Rena filstar cannester filter hooked up to a Marineland biowheel on the return to the tank. This is my wet dry. Marineland just started selling their biowheels like on their other filters that can hook up to the cannister filter brand of your choice....really nice and they not only provide biological wet/dry filtration, but add oxygen to the water (not bubbles like my skimmer does).
On my new tank I am going to use the same cannister set up with biowheel for filtration, and add a custom made thirty gallon refugium to the overflow with a deep sand bed and macroalgea for nitrate reduction. What do you think? Lesley