Bio spira

does anyone know where i can get some stuff for cheap to cycle my tank?? thanks, i just can't see paying 30$ for 10lbs or sand taken from a freaking beach

stanlalee

you dont need live sand or sand at all to cycle your tank and cycling is free. dead shrimp and 4-6wks is all thats needed. Bio spira by itself wont cycle anything. may shorten the cycle or reduce the ammonia spike but time is cheaper than bio spira. you do need SOMETHING with surface area (filter media, rocks or sand, dead or alive, tank itself) but it doesn't need to be sand and doesn't need any engineered help.

pascuch

i used bio spira and my tank was ready for fish in 1 week it works great, i thought. this is my first swt and so far everything is going great. 22 days now 70 pounds lr 40 lbs ls 1 serpent star 1 bristle star 1 blue star 1 porselain 1 sally 20 hermits 1 horseshoe 4 damsels 1 tomato clown 1 true percula clown 1 firefish 4 anemones 2 purple urchins all that died so far were 4 damsels and they were replaced by the lfs. last week i received an order from swf.com and 1 porcalain was doa and 1 sally died on saturday everything else is doing great. bio spira prevented my tank from a spike i had some brown algea so i did a 25 gallon water change last sunday and took care of that. by the way the tank is a 55 gallon and i am hooked.

ophiura

Live rock is the best investment you can make. IMO don't blow the money on the bottled stuff, but LR is HIGHLY beneficial not just as a filter but for your fish.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by PASCUCH
i used bio spira and my tank was ready for fish in 1 week it works great, i thought. this is my first swt and so far everything is going great. 22 days now 70 pounds lr 40 lbs ls 1 serpent star 1 bristle star 1 blue star 1 porselain 1 sally 20 hermits 1 horseshoe 4 damsels 1 tomato clown 1 true percula clown 1 firefish 4 anemones 2 purple urchins all that died so far were 4 damsels and they were replaced by the lfs. last week i received an order from swf.com and 1 porcalain was doa and 1 sally died on saturday everything else is doing great. bio spira prevented my tank from a spike i had some brown algea so i did a 25 gallon water change last sunday and took care of that. by the way the tank is a 55 gallon and i am hooked.
Glad your tank is doing well. You need to switch fish stores.
Here are a few concerns.
1. Slooooow down. You've stocked the tank way too fast.
2. Research your Stars. Many, many of them are difficult to impossible to keep. What is your "Blue Star"?
3. The Horseshoe will die. They are a cold water species that grows very large.
4. If your tank has been only up for 3 weeks and you've already lost 4 fish then you can't call "Bio Spira" a success.
5. Sally Lightfoots are known predators on fish when they get larger.
6. An anemone should never be added to a new tank. 4? Hopefully they are the same species....
7. You cannot mix clown species in a smaller aquarium.

codylowe

I used the "bio-spira" to cycle my tank... and yes it did work for me. I did have "cured" live rock and alot of live sand though that probably helped with my non-existent ammonia spike.
I would definitely recommend it, but always proceed with caution.
I was able to put fish in within 2 days after the "24-hour" cycle.
My tank has been going for over three months and i now have 5 fish - a bunch of inverts - a clam - and some star polyps.
The only thing i have lost was a Diamond Goby that jumped out of my tank.
Good luck to whoever tries this stuff... It worked GREAT for me.