Bio Wheel

gpyetiman

I was at my lfs earlier and explaining that I have been having problems with high nitrates. The gentleman there told me that I should throw out the bio wheel part of my penguin filters, he explained that they trap more bacteria and bad stuff. He said by having live rock, that should be all the biological filtration that I need. Is this true? I would like some other opinions before I toss them. Thanks!!!!!!

saltfan

How can they collect bad stuff, when they are the good stuff eating the bad stuff? I really dont' think that the bio wheels themselves would be the solution to a high nitrate problem, they don't collect debre, they are just a wet-dry filter per say, if you look close at them, I bet you don't see garbage collecting on them but bacteria that eats the nitrates and waste in the water. I have had a Emperor 400 on mine for a very long time, never seen any trouble out of mine. But I did do away with the blue poly filter in it, and put glass media in the second section, as this grows all kinds of great things to filter your water for you, its kinda like having a hang on fuge.