BIO-wheel

craig110768

I have a 20g QT, that i'm keeping cycled using 2 damsels.
The question is I don't have a BIO wheel on the filter, it just has a hang-on sponge filter and carbon inside it. I take the sponge filter out, once a week, as it started to smell, and clean it.
Thus I must be destroying part of the BIO filter. I'm I correct.
Would it make more sence getting a cheap filter with a bio-wheel.
Any suggestions. The reason why i'm asking is, that I was about to buy a purple tang and angel that are quite expensive. I don't want to loose them in the QT.
My main tank is cycled and looking great. I think at the moment the new fish would stand a better chance in there than the QT, but risk add ick to my main tank, thats just completed hypo.
Is it worth getting a bio wheel for my QT?

jakob4001

you could simply rinse out the sponge w/ used water from your existing tank; that way the bio colony remains in same environment...obviously you place about maybe a couple gallons or so in some sort of container rinse out as thoughrouly as possible...not as convenient as running under the spout, but should keep the bio colony alive

jdl/dayton

For a Q/T tank I would get an overkill size OTB filter. Perferrably one with two parallel filter media's. This way you can alternate cleaning one while the other remains in the system. Hang on filters are mainly mechanical and chemical. Not really for biological purposes,(That takes place in the substrate) so I would not sweat loosing the bacteria in the foam all that much.
If you feel better go ahead and get one with biowheel outlets. The bigger the filter the better your Q/T will adapt to overload when adding a new or sick fish. Of course monitor your Ammonia daily when your Q/T is overloaded and change water as necessary to control this.