Bioballs and skimmer.

new_noob

do you put bioballs into a protien skimmer??? if you can, i was thinking about putting in oyster shells because they boost calcium,

blk822

Some skimmers use bio balls to brake up the air bubbles into a finer bubble. I tried it on my Berlin and it didn't work well at all. Probly because it wasn't designed for it. And if I put shells in it ,they would spin around and cause damage to the acrylic tubes.

new_noob

darn, i was kinda hoping that i could but the shells in, maby i could buy crushed ones and sprinkle them on the top of my sand bed.

genx

Originally posted by New_Noob
darn, i was kinda hoping that i could but the shells in, maby i could buy crushed ones and sprinkle them on the top of my sand bed.

Would this be a good way of adding calcium to the reef tank? Or even just place whole shells in the tank??????

T

thomas712

The shell thing or even crushed coral will depend on your ph and how low it gets from what I understand.
If you really want to just stick a small bag of cc or shells in a micron bag and place it in your sump if it will make you feel any better.
You will still have to test
Alk and Cal suppliments are still a good way to maintain these levels, and cc or shells would not make up for these levels very fast IMO.
Thomas

genx

Thanks, I'm glad I came across this place! I've just recently changed over from fowlr to reef and I'm enjoying the challeng.
:happyfish