Biocube problems?HELP!(PICS)

luvmybizz

Ok, so my tank is fully cycled and i have fish in it that are doing just fine! My one question though is it seems that my water is not foggy but has alot of stuff floating around in it...and it almost seems like it is coming out of my return pump...but it isn't getting any better and has been like this for about a week now and is driving me crazy as the water should be crystal clear! Anyone have this problem before and maybe know wat is going on??? I have copepods in my tank all over but i doubt there is so many that it is making my water look way differen't! I have some pics, but they are really kinda hard to see wat i am really talking about, i guess just use your imaginations and maybe help me with my problem!

spanko

Could be micro bubbles from an airleak in some connection on the hose from the pump to the elbow that goes back into the tank. Check the hose at the point it connects to the elbow. Move it around a bit and see if that helps.

luvmybizz

it could be, but sometimes the stuff that is floating around almost looks like micro-scopic threads of some sort...and didn't know if it was coming from my filter or not...

nwdyr

I had the same problem when i set mine up. I added allot of live rock fast, looks like you did also, it will settle. It's just the debri from the rock, you can clean you'r sponges out to help also. tank looks good

snaredrum

I had the same problem. Increase you water level a little above Max. I don't even know why they put that max level on the side. I have a Sapphire skimmer in my second sump and the level has to be 2 inches above the Max mark. What I did was, once you have the level right with no bubbles, mark the tank above the max level to your new mark. Once the level start to evorate, mark the low level. I travel alot and my wife just keeps the topoff level between the marks and I'm good to go. Watch the back wall to make sure the water does not go over or you might have fish going over. I'm about 1/16" below the back wall. Before I had added the skimmer, I was still above the max mark. Go figure

luvmybizz

ok thanks if this does not work wat else should i try? This is really frustrating me as everyone elses tanks are crystal clear and mine is not

snaredrum

You can put a piece of fine filter floss in front of the carbon pad. I have done this time to time with a Phosphate pad for phosphate removal. You will see with these tanks you need a little mods sometimes. I'm running phosban filter bag in front of the carbon as we speak.

sigmachris

Originally Posted by Snaredrum
http:///forum/post/2503249
I had the same problem. Increase you water level a little above Max. I don't even know why they put that max level on the side.
I don't have a skimmer but what I have found is when you add water above the max line the water in the DT will start spilling over the back wall. Obviously this water will bypass any mechanical filters along with any detrius that spills over.
Filter floss by my definition is a blue filter pad (sometimes white on one side and blue on the other) you can buy at most LFS for $6. You cut the large pad into 2"x3" rectangles and place one rectangle on top of the drip tray in the middle chamber. You want it to be in front of the hole where the water is spilling from the right chamber to the middle chamber. By being in front of this "water fall" the filter floss will catch uneaten food, fish poop, and other junk and prevent this junk from collecting in the bio balls in the middle chamber. You should change out this filter every 24 or 48 hours as it can get dirty fast.
Carbon are small pebble size pieces of carbon. Go to your LFS (local fish store) and buy a jar of carbon and a mesh bag. Fill up the bag with about 1/2 cup of carbon and put the bag in one of the chambers. You will hear different opinions on which chamber but I like mine in the middle chamber UNDER the drip tray. Replace the carbon every 2 weeks or more often if you have a problem in the tank. Carbon will absorb unwanted chemicals and also leave your water crystal clear.
There are fancier products like Chemi Elite and purigen if you wish to investigate. I have heard people run these instead of carbon and I have heard people run these in tandem with carbon.
Good luck,
Chris

luvmybizz

thanks alot everyone and if this doesn't work i will let ya know! I will get some pics up here shortley and my plans for the rest of the tank!