biocube water level

sang4201

I was wondering. If I have removed the bioball from my biocube 29, then is there a reason why I can't fill the tank all of the way up? Doing this would allow for skimmer (fission skimmer, unfortunately I already bought it so I might as well try using it) to fit into the 3rd compartment with the pump. Also the second compartment would become a fuge instead of just having the water drip over my lr in there. What do you guys think?

ahmoser

I am trying to do the same. I just replaced the bioballs with lr rubble and took the stock filter out. I run carbon in the first chamber, lr rubble covered with filter floss in the second, and chemipure in the third. Does this sound good to the people who have more exp? I have heard that if you cut the divider between the first and second chambers so that it is even, that the entire back will level out. I am very interested to see if anyone has any more info!

bruder

I too would like to do something like this. I am unsure of how to go about cutting the first divider out though... I took out the bio-balls and added LR rubble and Carbon, but I want to level out the water in the back. You think drilling holes in the first divider would allow more water to get to the second chamber?

ahmoser

I haven't done it so I would assume some sort of saw. The top of the plastic that divides sections 1 and 2 is not level. Half of it is higher by about an inch and a half. Make this level.

bruder

It worked! The two left compartments evened out which let me stick my heater in the first from the left. It worked like a charm.
Good luck!
I'm going to mimic your set-up (with the carbon, lr, floss, and chemipure) if you don't mind

ahmoser

Yes np, what did you use to cut the plastic? Did you have any loose plastic floating around afterwards? Keep me updated on how the flow works out if you don't mind!

bruder

I have this kind of hand-held (non-electric) drill that I used to create three small holes in the piece. I was planning on keeping like that but then when I went to drill the fourth the plastic piece cracked and I was able to pull it off. I positioned a net underneath so it would catch the debris so I didn't have any floaties. I would just make sure that if you do it, you use a new (non-copper) drill bit. Let me know how it goes.