Bioload in a 55 Gal

beginner01

Can anyone tell me how I can figure out my max amt of fish i can put in my 55 gal? Is there a general rule of thumb - like 1 fish per x gal?
Also, Is adding 2 damsels, 10 hermits, 3 emerald crabs, 1 cucumber, and 1 starfish all at the same time too much.
I have a clown in the tank already.
Thanks in advance!

promisetbg

I would suggest that you reconsider the damsels. They are very territorial and get more so as they mature. Adding the amount you mentioned is fine at once. Try to think of the tank in terms of where the fish will swim. In other words, mix some bottom dwellers with mid-column swimming fish. In a 55, I would'nt put more than 5-6 sm-med fish.

beginner01

Thanks! You are right about the damsels. the more I read in the forums the quicker I am to change my mind about these fishys. I do love the domino damsel though.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by beginner01
Thanks! You are right about the damsels. the more I read in the forums the quicker I am to change my mind about these fishys. I do love the domino damsel though.
Yeah, when I first started sw the blue damsel was the one that attracted me to the hobby. I just thought they were pretty little blue fish...little did I know!
Dominoes are cute, but are one of the most agressive. I think in a really big tank{200-300} with large coral heads for them to dart into and call a territory, they are ok. It's the whole territorial problem with them, and most of us don't have tanks with enough space to give them room to feel like they don't have to beat up or defend their "home" from the other fish in the tank. We call them "mean" but they are really just territorial..it's in their nature.