Bioload question.

spline9

Ok, so I've been reading about bioload in regards to how many fish are in the tank. I havent seen anybody mention cleanup crews or corals in the bioload issue.
My question is;
Do the cleanup crew and corals not count when figuring bioload?
If so, then how do they fit in the inches of fish per gallon rule?
Thanks.

belothsurf

They don't........corals and clean-up crews don't really add to the bio-load because you don't really feed them. Bio load is term used to reflect how much your tank can efficiently keep ammonia and nitrites at zero. The more fish you add, the more fish food you add, and then you have fish ........."poop". Food, "poop", and not to mention fish "wee-wee", all contribute to the bioload. Inverts just don't require much food, nor do they poop much, so they really don't add to the bioload.:jumping:

spline9

Thats what I figured but what about those corals you *do* have to feed? The ones that like meaty foods and expel visual amounts of waste? Shouldnt they be figured in as well?

belothsurf

I only keep soft corals, and none of mine have to be fed. Not many corals have to be "fed", and even the one's that can be fed, are usually only fed so often, so they really don't contribute to the bioload. But I'm no expert on corals by any means......:nervous:

spline9

Cool, thanks!
Just wanted to know before I start piling the tank with more squishy stuff. (I wish!) Heh.

ratpack

Originally posted by belothsurf
They don't........corals and clean-up crews don't really add to the bio-load because you don't really feed them. Bio load is term used to reflect how much your tank can efficiently keep ammonia and nitrites at zero. The more fish you add, the more fish food you add, and then you have fish ........."poop". Food, "poop", and not to mention fish "wee-wee", all contribute to the bioload. Inverts just don't require much food, nor do they poop much, so they really don't add to the bioload.:jumping:

hahahhah i love those terms "poop" and "wee wee":hilarious
you couldnt explain it better

belothsurf

It's titled "the poop string". I just did the search, and came up with 3 pages of "poop". But, IMO, there is only one "poop thread".:D