Bioload Question

briandg

Hi,
I'm really not planning on currently adding any other fish to my 55gal FOWLR tank, but I do have a question regarding stocking. I've read about only adding 1" of fish per 5 gal. and other ratios. I was just wondering if the types of fish make a difference. I have the following fish in my tank:
2 Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 LMB
1 Coral Beauty Angel
My question is, does the ratio always apply. With my fish, the Clowns just hang out in one corner of the tank and swim up higher. The Coral Beauty swims around in the open spaces lower in the tank. The Royal Gramma hangs out in the caves of my rock (60lbs of live rock), and the LMB moves around the tops of the rocks. I'm not trying to convince anyone that I should be able to add more fish, but as far as space, these fish all seem to do fine in their own environment. Couldn't I add a couple more fish that are free swimmers. Again, I'm not planning it right now, but I was just wanting some opinions if the type of fish makes a difference as to overstocking. Thanks in advance for you opinions.

briandg

That is what my thought process is, it seems like they are a good rule of thumb, but if you had all the fish free swimmers in the lower part of the tank, you would be able to have less fish. I may be wrong, but it seems like you could stock more fish by planning the types of fish. It doesn't seem to me that the lawnmower blenny for example has much if any effect on the clowns and angel.