Black Algea?????

bmkj02

Okay, I have seen purple, green, red and brown algea. Now on my sand I see a black film. Just in a small area but its in a 24g aquapod with a 20g sump with a skimmer, UV and GFO reactor below. Have a mag 5 and a MJ 1200 with mod kit. I have stared at this till my eyes were almost popping out. Its black. Not a dark purple. Its a film that will break away if you touch it. What is it? I did a water check and its all 0 except for a tiny bit of Ammonia but that wouldnt do it. PH 8.0, Nitrate and Nitrite 0, Ammonia .15 or less, calcium about 600, Phosphate 0, O2 5mh, salinity 1.25.

jackri

Just from the title I thought maybe you had some sponge growing but yeah I agree with Cranberry on this being black cyano.

bmkj02

Bump!! Cleaned it off and it came back again. For as long as I have a tank I have never seen this.

J

jetskiking

Sounds like black cyano to me. Be very careful when cleaning it and siphon any out that you stir up. It is very toxic, It can even be toxic to humans. I have seen a couple of people stir this into there tanks and wake up to dead fish the next day.