black and white clown?

dwendler4

i have a perc clown in my 75 gallon, i really want to add a black/white clown because i think they are SWEET... i have read that the black/whites are the least aggressive of all clowns... my perc is still kinda young, do you think if i added a black/white clown it would be okay?

nick76

No. Do Not mix clown species, it just wont work. If you want to add another the only thing that will work is another Perc clown that is about the same size.

ice4ice

Originally Posted by Nick76
No. Do Not mix clown species, it just wont work. If you want to add another the only thing that will work is another Perc clown that is about the same size.

I'll have to disagree with your response, Nick. They can be mixed providing if he already has a regular false clown or a regular true percula clown. You can add the b&w clown as long as you have the right species. ie : false clown can co-exist with a false b&w clown and the true perc can co-exist with a b&w true perc b&w. Black & white clowns are just a coloration variety. Just get get the right species that you already have. Especially if they are still young.

nick76

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
I'll have to disagree with your response, Nick. They can be mixed providing if he already has a regular false clown or a regular true percula clown. You can add the b&w clown as long as you have the right species. ie : false clown can co-exist with a false b&w clown and the true perc can co-exist with a b&w true perc b&w. Black & white clowns are just a coloration variety. Just get get the right species that you already have. Especially if they are still young.
As I said below, do not mix species. I was unaware however that b&w and reg percs can be the same species. Also however ive never seen black n white with regular percs.

ice4ice

True are ocean captured, False are tank bred.
This is totally false information !!!
False Clownfish (aka : Ocellaris Clownfish) are more orange in color while the True Percula Clownfish have a bit darker orange color body with thicker black borders on their white bands.
There are b&w ocellaris clowns and b&w true percula clowns. True percs and False clownfish are 2 different species.
Take the time to read up on the differnce between True Percula Clownfish and Ocellaris Clownfish, Nick76. Sorry if this sounds like a flame but it isn't. You're giving out some misinformation about clownfish species.

alphamandi

Hi I have a B&W clown and a GSM clown who have lived together happily for about two years. I know they are not really tank mates, but I really fell in LOVE with the B&W so I decided to try it. They did not get along at first for about two to three weeks then they decided they liked eachother and have been fine ever since. Hopefully they will continue to be I really like both of them.

saltn00b

ice is right, percula are true clowns and Ocellaris are false clowns. I have only really seen or heard of Black and white tank bred Ocellaris, which being the same species, will work fine with regular ocellaris clowns. i advise heavily against mixing clown species, tho your most peaceful and best chance of success is likely with the percula and ocellaris.
also, I have a GSM that tried its damnedest to rip the fins off of a B+W Ocellaris. i removed the ocellaris.

B

big911dog

Thank goodness someone chimed in about true v. false and ocellaris v. perc's!!!

I have two ocellaris. one orange and white (standard) and one black and white. They are a mated pair and live together in a sebae. The trick to adding a second clown is size. If the second one is smaller, it will stay submissive and male. You should not have a problem. If they are about the same size or both females, watch out!!!

dwendler4

thank you for all of the great info everyone... some of you have answered my main question, which was can these two clowns co-exist...
i already know about true/false and all that... does anyone else have an opinion on whether or not they can live together?

saltn00b

basically it is not worth trying unless you have a tank over 150g where they might be seperated by large distances. even then, i have seen 2 clowns seek each other out from across 300 gallons of tank and rockwork. its a risk you take and the smaller the tank, the bigger the risk.

dwendler4

right, this seems to be the message i am getting from the most experienced of all the people i have talked to... guess i wont get a black/white, too bad, i think those are so cool... on the other hand... just got a red scooter blenny, got him in QT right now, sweet fish

segmaster

I have two clownfish, and they have lived 4+ years as a mated pair. What is interesting is that one is an orange percula, and the other is a black percula. They have even laid eggs as well. So from my experience, it should work.

dwendler4

yeah, some people say they have done it fine... your tank is a little larger than mine... i think ill just avoid it rather than risk it. if i ever start a 2nd tank, first fish i get is gonna be b/w clown those are awesome.