black bubbles in tank

jfohn

I have just noticed black bubbles in my tank that are on some rocks, I reached in to try and pop them, but they are kind of hard.
Are these bad for my tank, what are they?
Thanks

ouchthathu

That would be bubble algea... whatever you do don't pop it! If you do it will be all over your tank.
Try the following...
1. remove the rock from the tank and wiggle the spore off. Rinse with freshwater after the spre was removed. *Best Option*
2. If you can't remove the rock... carefully wiggle the spore back and forth until it comes free from the rock.. it seems the larger they are the easier they are to free (about hald the size of a grape is pretty eaasy to remove). *OK option... but be careful if it breaks you will see alot more*
3. If they are small (smaller than a sunflower seed) you can add some emerald crabs and they *might* eat it... results vary I have 2 emeralds I move from tank to tank as I see the stuff appear... they love it and go to town on it. I call them my bubble team!

titan

Foxface rabbitfish if you have one should take care of it and also a fine pair of tweezers works good for the small ones!