Black Marine Sand

caz2022

Im setting up a new 75 and want to go with black sand. I've found it from both Estes and Carib Sea. Does anyone have any experiance with either? The tank will be a FOWLER with smaller schooling fish with maybe a burrower or two (unsure). One site I found said that Carib Sea's Tahitian black isnt burrower or sifter friendly, havnt found anything about Estes product. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

bmkj02

I think its beautiful sand but the only drawback I have seen when it gets dirty you can really tell as any little thing is noticable. More maintenance than others

U

usirchchris

I used Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon Sand which is black in my 75. The above poster is correct...EVERYTHING shows that falls off of my LR, but it's still a nice change of pace from the ordinary setup IMO.

Would a good CUC take care of it? I'm about to set up a tank and was considering black Tahitian sand also. Would some jawfish be fine with that type of sand?

caz2022

was it burrower and sifter friendly? my concerns are that its so fine it'll compact down too hard for snails or shrim to burrow in let alone sift. The estes brand was a tad bigger grain.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by Sooner_Reefer
http:///forum/post/3133821
Would a good CUC take care of it? I'm about to set up a tank and was considering black Tahitian sand also. Would some jawfish be fine with that type of sand?
Jawfish would be fine. Would CUC take care of the stuff that fall off of the rock? In my case, no...bits of sand in the rock or small pieces that break off...there is a ton of stuff that comes off the rock that you don't see in "normal" sand. I have probably ten hermits, a spider decorater crab, a few rogue snails, and two shrimp with 1 cowfish in this tank.

Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/3133830
Jawfish would be fine. Would CUC take care of the stuff that fall off of the rock? In my case, no...bits of sand in the rock or small pieces that break off...there is a ton of stuff that comes off the rock that you don't see in "normal" sand. I have probably ten hermits, a spider decorater crab, a few rogue snails, and two shrimp with 1 cowfish in this tank.
Would a fw dip take care of the sand that's hidden in the rocks? Would that kill the things you want in the rocks?

U

usirchchris

It would help, but I don't think you would ever get all of it. There are simply too many crevices, and overtime the rock breaks down to an extent...stuff gets knocked loose by critters. I would not recommend rinsing the rock in freshwater, or you will most likely end up with dead rock. If you want to rinse it, use saltwater, so you don't loose your beneficial life on the rock.