black or white pvc, any difference?

gotpancit

I see a lot of white pvc plumbing set ups. Is that just a coincidence or is there some sort of bacteria that likes white plastic instead of black?

keith burn

Originally Posted by gotpancit
http:///forum/post/2951673
I see a lot of white pvc plumbing set ups. Is that just a coincidence or is there some sort of bacteria that likes white plastic instead of black?
as for a sw tank no just the look

nitschke65

You see lots of white pvc (schedule 40, schedule 20, or the tan cpvc) because it's cheap. Schedule 80 pvc is dark grey, harder to find, and more expensive. If you see black, that's abs. As far as I know, there is no difference chemically, once the glue is cured, on any of these products, (as far as aquarium use goes) Like keith burn said, it's just the look.

chilwil84

the black is not safe for potable water(ie drinking water), and shouldnt be used for your supply because it is not pressure rated. sch40 is pressure rated as is sch80 watch out for cellular core pvc(white) sold usually at hd in the 2' sections because it isnt pressure rated.
another reason i dont use abs is my friend who is a plumber uses the expression sh*& sticks to abs so it has a tendency to clog easier.
pvc is usually more expensive than abs