black percula

debbie

Is there any difference between the orange percula and the black percula's besides color??
If I were to get two of these fish can you get at the same time one black one and one orange one and will they host in a BTA together??
What does "misbar" mean, can someone show me a picture of one??
And lastley, what is the difference between a tank bred and a wild caught percula for the home aquarium??

J

jesses89

misbar means just that missing bars.
either there missing bars or theyre incomplete.
besides color.. dont think theyre is much of a difference.. except the blacknwhite percs are more rare and less available and also command a heftier price.
dont know much about the diff between a wild caught and a tank bred other than .. the tank bred ones are more withstanding of aquarium life.
wild caught ones have a higher level of care?
hope i helped some.

mike22cha

Black and White perculas aren't actualy percula clownfish. They are actualy false percula that are misold as percula. So I don't know if a false percula and percula can go together.

r2kbug

just ordered a mated pair of black ocellaris (come on babies) and tank bred are hardier and from all the books i've read, easier in reproduction and rearing....

mike22cha

The only downside to tank raised clownfish is that there is a lower chance that they will host an anemone.

dmitry

Tank bred fish are those that have been bred in captivity (aquariums).
Wild caught are those fish that have been captured from the ocean.
Tank raised fish are those that have been captured from the ocean while still young and raised in captivity (aquariums.)
The more responsible hobbyists would buy the tank-bred animals whenever possible because these fish are not depleting oceans of its livestock. They also tend be more hardy because they have not been exposed to the same parasites as the ocean fish, and because all they know are aquariums - so it's a lot easier to acclimate them to our own systems.
There's never a guarantee that any clownfish will accept an anemone. Some just won't. Others will make their homes inside corals (I used to have a pair that lived inside a Colt Coral.)

debbie

Thanks all for the info, I sure like the look of these clowns. They are available close to me but they come with a nice price of $35.00 CDN each

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Debbie
Thanks all for the info, I sure like the look of these clowns. They are available close to me but they come with a nice price of $35.00 CDN each

That is a good price. They are occelaris and cannot go with true percs. Clowns cannot be mixed unless it is a large tank and they are all paired. What sized tank do you have?

college kid

I think the black perc is one of the coolest fish you can get. I would love to have one. I am looking at getting a BTA and a black perc, but I am a little leary. I had a pink tip anenome and a maroon clown and it caused so much havoc in my tank. The PTA killed one of my damsels (not a big loss) and then the clown got so territorial it would not let my other fish out of the far corner. I took out the PTA because I liked my clown but he keeped doing it even when the PTA was gone. I had to get rid of him too. Is this normal behavior for clown fish? I want a black perc but I am scared I will have to take him out. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

debbie

Well after seeing the prices on this site I guess it is not bad at all as my price is Canadian. I will have to contact this place first to see if they are nice fish and if they could send any pictures of them to me.
They also have misbar ones for a few dollars cheaper but why even bother when you could get the nice ones instead.
I have a 10 gal tank, it is 3 yrs running. It currenly houses my maroon clown which I think I might have to find a new home for. She is very aggressive with the anemone and really needs a bigger home. No I would not put any new fish in with this clown, don't worry...

Would you get one or two of these black perculas??
Or
My other option was the Pink Skunk Clowns, they to are very pretty too.
Want to start a poll and see which ones would you get for this tank??
Black Percular Clown
Pink Skunk Clown

dmitry

A 10 gallon is definitely too small for a Maroon. I'd get a pair of Blacks, personally.
Clowns can get very territorial of their corners or their anemones. They are related to Damsels after all! The good news is that they're not territorial of the whole tank, like Damsels are.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Dmitry
Tank bred fish are those that have been bred in captivity (aquariums).
Wild caught are those fish that have been captured from the ocean.
Tank raised fish are those that have been captured from the ocean while still young and raised in captivity (aquariums.)
The more responsible hobbyists would buy the tank-bred animals whenever possible because these fish are not depleting oceans of its livestock. They also tend be more hardy because they have not been exposed to the same parasites as the ocean fish, and because all they know are aquariums - so it's a lot easier to acclimate them to our own systems.
There's never a guarantee that any clownfish will accept an anemone. Some just won't. Others will make their homes inside corals (I used to have a pair that lived inside a Colt Coral.)
To label hobbiests who prefer wild fish to aqualtured as less responsible is absurd. Why not carry this label farther and say that all hobbiests are not being respobsible if they buy any lionfish, tang, puffer, trigger etc., etc, etc,. Why deplete the ocean when aquacultured clowns, dottybacks a few dwarf angels, and a few gobies are available?
The half bar and, and other morphs available now were probably discarded as "freaks"--before breeders found a market for them. FW angelfish and discus are now almost unrecognizable ,next to wild ones ,because of the generations bred in captivity. Fish bred in captivity also lose color and many traits that the wild form still has. Such as FW discus refusing raising their fry. If someone can show me that catching wild clownfish has reduced their numbers in the wild; I'll change my tune. Nature abhors a vacuum is a common principle. A reef will support "X" number of a species; and when one is removed, by net or predator, the same reef will replace them. Aquacultured fish are great, especially for beginners; but I sure think a wild caught yellowstripe maroon clownfish from Sumatra (where they're used as bait) is prettier and has more personality than the aquacultured type and I'm sure not going to feel "irresponsible" when I buy one.

dmitry

Originally Posted by srfisher17
To label hobbiests who prefer wild fish to aqualtured as less responsible is absurd. Why not carry this label farther and say that all hobbiests are not being respobsible if they buy any lionfish, tang, puffer, trigger etc., etc, etc,. Why deplete the ocean when aquacultured clowns, dottybacks a few dwarf angels, and a few gobies are available?
The half bar and, and other morphs available now were probably discarded as "freaks"--before breeders found a market for them. FW angelfish and discus are now almost unrecognizable ,next to wild ones ,because of the generations bred in captivity. Fish bred in captivity also lose color and many traits that the wild form still has. Such as FW discus refusing raising their fry. If someone can show me that catching wild clownfish has reduced their numbers in the wild; I'll change my tune. Nature abhors a vacuum is a common principle. A reef will support "X" number of a species; and when one is removed, by net or predator, the same reef will replace them. Aquacultured fish are great, especially for beginners; but I sure think a wild caught yellowstripe maroon clownfish from Sumatra (where they're used as bait) is prettier and has more personality than the aquacultured type and I'm sure not going to feel "irresponsible" when I buy one.
Wow, touchy. I wasn't passing judgment on anyone. But you didn't actually respond to the point that if an aquacultured specimen is available it is better for our environment and the oceans to buy the aquacultured instead of a wild-caught one. To me it seems like very basic 2+2=4 logic. And man has destroyed quite a few species of animals that nature has not replaced.
Regardless, you are welcome to go and catch fish with a hook at the Great Barrier Reef yourself if you like. I don't give a crap.

srfisher17

Yeah, I guess I did sound a little too touchy, I just don't like being labeled because of opposing values. Please re-read my response; my "vacuum" statement addresses the logic; and I totally oppose gathering species that are declining in nature. I just don't know where this all ends. Trout, catfish, and salmon are raised in captivity. Am I depleting the oceans if I chose to eat halibut, haddock, or pompano, or a McSquarefish sandwich? I have caught fish at the GBR...beautiful.

debbie

Okay....... I started this posting so now I will end this posting. Don't like to see things get heated and everyone has a right to their opinion......

I just wanted to know a few things about the orange percs and the black percs so now it has all been answered thanks to everyone for their replies.
I was just notified that our LFS has waited a year for their first order of these fish, so they are not easy to get here and that is okay.
I now will turn my focus to either the Pink Skunk Clown or the normal Orange Percs (nemo). I lean towards the skunks though.

srfisher17

Thanks! According to SWF and another online store, the B&W clowns they have are Amphiprion ocellaris; not the true percula clown. But most clowns sold as Percula clowns are really Ocellaris anyway. As long as they're the same species, they should be fine, if purchased at a small size. I love pink skunks too, you don't see them much anymore.