Black Sand

tchrisp

I was wondering if anyone has used black sand in thier tank.. I was wondering how it looks.
Second Question: I am slowly switching out my tank into another one. Currently i have CC and moving to sand hance the 1st question. Should i bring some of the CC over to the new tank to help seed and speed up the process?
Thanks,

gmusick

The black sand looks pretty good, but it gives the tank a much darker appearance. I like the look of the lighter sand. It seems to have a bright and clean appearance. As far as seeding your sand, if you are buying live sand, then, no, you won't need to add any of your CC to your sand bed to help seed it. If you are just buying plain aragonite sand, then you can, and probably should, use the CC to seed your new sand. To do this, take some old pantyhose or cheesecloth and make little "bags". Put some of your CC into the bag and tie it off with a Rubber band. This will keep the CC from holding any more nitrate producing food or waste. Keep the bags in the aquarium for about 60 days, then remove them and throw them away.

teen

i thought black sand would look good too, but it doesnt. every little particle shows up on it, and it looks bad after about a week. i took mine out in a week and a half because everything shows up on it, imo, its not worth it.

S

skysmom

I have black sand in my tank. I love it, and haven't had much of a problem with things showing up, partly because in trying to catch our cleaner shrimp, we ended up with a little of the LFS's white sand which I added to the tank for a little contrast. I like it and others have commented on it too, it's a matter of preference I suppose.