BlackCap or Royal Gramma?

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Well, I must say I found a fish that really intrigues me. I need some info on the little guy. My LFS got the first one in the last 4 years(I live in Michigan C'mon). They are extremely rare around my neck of the woods, unfortunately. Since we only have one saltwater store in the town I have no alternative besides driving to Lansing or Romulus. I have him on hold until Saturday. I have to make a choice between a BlackCap or a Royal Gramma. If anyone would care to give any suggestions on which one to get or have any helpful tips on the BlackCap it would be extremely helpful. It will be reiding in the 20 gallon reef for the next 2 months and then will be put in the 50 gallon after the cycle. It will be living with a 6-Line Wrasse for the time. Are they hardy or are they hard to keep? Thanks for any help.

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Thanks for all the info guys. These fish are one of the few I haven't studied on in the last 7 years. So, it looks like a got 2 for the BlackCap and 2 for the Royal Gramma. Hmmmm..... what are the pros and cons of these fish. Has anyone had personal experience with BlackCaps. They are extremely rare around here and not even the guy at the fish store knew about this one since they haven't had any in 4 years. I must say, though, by the time I left the store there were some of the lFS regulars talking about buying right then so I reserved it just to make sure I was or wasn't getting into a mess. Thanks for the info guys. Keep it comin'. I need some more opinions on which one is better.

lionfish

LionFish says......
Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't made a decision yet. As this fish will be one of the few I can put in my new 50 I have to choose wisely. So, here are the basics. I will have 1 percula Clown, 1 6-line wrasse, 1 Flame Angel, 1 Goby, and 1 Flame Hawk. These are the original ideas. Bear with me folks, I've only been in the reef hobby for a little over a year, while I have spent the last 7 years in fish-only. So will I have to remove one of the fish. If any have to go it will be the Hawkfish. it will have a lot of caves as I will have 65 pounds of live rock. So those are the basics. Anything wrong? Hey, LeThaFace, that would be really cool if you could tell me some specifics on BlackCaps. I have until Saturday to decide. That BlackCap is a wanted fish in the town and I have him for now. Anyways the LFS guy said they probably won't be able tto order them for another 2 years. So, any help on them would be great. Thanks for the help, guys.

lionfish

LionFish says......
Thanks guys. I said that I would get rid of the HawkFish because of the reason of snacking on inverts. I have 2 cleaner shrimp that I really like so I'll avoid the Hawk. Thanks for all the help LeThaFace. You have educated me on these cool fish. I have made my decision to get the BlackCap because if I don't get it now I may not get it for a long time and I met all the requirements you mentioned. Just curious, what do you have with your BlackCap?

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Well, I got the little bugger home this morning and he is quite happy with his numerous cave. He had none at the LFS. It was sad because he just sat behind a spong filter looking out at everybody. He swims around a lot and seems to like the 6-line wrasse, although he scared it half to death. So, in conclusion I must say I believe the Royal Gramma is a bit more colorful but if you have the room (and money) you should try this BlackCap. He has a real personality that makes him real cool. Thanks for all your help it has been great to learn about these awesome fish.