Blackish/Purple algae/? all over the sand

babykitten

Okay, I noticed a week or two ago that a blackish/purple algae or something of that nature was growing on my live sand. It is now slowly overtaking the tank and I have no idea what it is. Can someone help me out with what it is, and possibly how I can get rid of it? If you need more details about the tank, let me know! Thanks!

babykitten

The tank has been set up probably two-three months. It's ten gallons and I was planning on using it for seahorses. Not very much live rock, about 2-3 pounds. I have some caulerpa and a cleaner shrimp and probably three snails. I did originally use tap water to begin it and learned that was a mistake so a month ago I did a 50 percent water change with RO water. Not exactly sure what could have caused this algae or whatever it is. Just tonight it is actually so thick that it just lifted up the sand. Yes, I would say I let it get too far out of hand, I was just never able to get to the LFS to get their opinion. If all else fails, I could probably start the whole thing over. Boy would that be fun! :) Any more suggestions? Thanks, though!

clarkiiboi

post your parameters---then maybe if something is off, we have a better idea. Also have you checked the RO water your using?

fshhub

actually yes your water params would help,
BUT it sounds like youjust need better circulation, especially at the lower levels in your tank.(I have experienced this problem)
more snails and or crabs plus a fighting conch may also help

dzhuo

Hi,
I think you have slim algae. I think you need to make sure:
1. use RO/DI water all the time. This should keep phosphate low(or zero).
2. Good aggressive protein skimming.
3. Right spectrum of light. If your light is old, you need to replace them. Make sure you have enough intensity to simulate macroalage growth.
4. Good water circulation.
5. Right level of calcium, pH and alkalinity.
6. Try carbon and/or phosphate remover. Be sure to use high quality carbon since some low grade carbon can actually release phosphate themselve.
7. Add some cleanup crew to keep the surface of the sand clean.
8. Don't ever over feed.
I am new to reef aquarium so take my advice as it's. There are a lot of information on slim alage in this BB. You might want to check it out. HTH.
david