blacklights as moonlights? yes or no

ive searched this subject quite a bit, im not interested in trying to mimic a moon cycle or anything. im simply interested in some low level lighting for my 55 gal reef tank at night. i stumbled upon a couple of posts that said blacklight was bad for fish. anybody know anything about this or can verify it? ive got some walmart specials in mind if its ok to put in. im checkin into the moonbeams but may be lookin for something more cost efficient.

Interesting question. Only thing I'd be concerned about would be UV radiation. However, prob negligible unless you opt for a high wattage bulb. Would love to see what corals look like under that!

ruaround

I have read a few articles about "night viewing lights" and they are all of the red spectrum. Im no expert, but I thought that the red is what promoted algae growth. No mention of black lighting anywhere.

wolffvet

I used to put a black light on top of my freshwater tank and it did not seem to bother anything. I don't know the effects it will have on saltwater fish or corals

nm reef

I use a small sort of Christmas tree type light on mine....its red and very low level light....but after hours it looks kewl........I removed it from a little lamp that my daughter had got tired of.....I think blacklights may contribute to algae and has excessive uv's for reef applications. :cool:

kris walker

Why not use a blue christmas tree light instead of red? It just seems to me more natural since the water filters a lot of the red moonlight out anyway.
kris

yeah I think id like the blue color better, seems like it would be closer to a moon color than red. But I do think the christmas light is a good idea. Im just looking for a little light, I catch myself staring for what seems like hours at a time watching stuff on my new live rock crawl around! im interested to know what comes out at night.

B

bt_1999_66

I saw a post a while back about....
Lasers in tanks.... that will be the day...!

jumpfrog

Most lfs carry small incandescent 15 watt lights that screw into a normal socket. Come in a variety of colors. I made a box out of wood and placed a red bulb in it as a tank night light. Works great and the bulb was like a buck fifty.
Good Luck!

Night lights are available at most stores that use a green or blue LED. No heat issues at all. Downside is they plug directly into a 110 outlest, so you'd have to watrerproof the connections (plasti-dip). Used 2 of 'em in a power strip SECURELY fastened inside hood on 30 gal tank.

cadbury

They actually have them at my LPS and I just installed it in my system. They cost me 60.00 a piece, I think they look great! Here's a site if you want more info....
<a href="http://www.brightlights-tech.com" target="_blank">http://www.brightlights-tech.com</a>

Somebody told me that the fish can see the red spectrum lighting, that is why people choose red at night, they think its dark, meanwhile you can see in the tank.

drkegel

Deuce is right, most fish can't see the red spectrum, that's what it's used as a "night-lite".
Blacklights are no good for your tank, way too much UV as stated earlier.

they do have lasers(well laser lighting) they run on a ballst and everything(very common at petcos and petsmarts).but i have never seen one ina salt.i thinkit should be fine though

ive purchased a 25 watt party bulb in blue, im gonna try it out and i may buy a red one also just to see which i prefer. my second thing to do will be to find a way to light the tank with it. i dont have a lot of room on top to work with. i wonder if a small adjustable clip light could be mounted some how??
anyway not a bad start for 2 bucks!!

ive found some blue bulb covers for fluorescents. i wonder if i could put these on my 18" strip lights that are just 17 watt ballasts and run these at night
hmm....

y2says

I never thought about Christmas lights. That's a good idea. I might have to go that route for my 180g reef.