blackout disaster!!

reefiness

Last night i had the power go out in my house while i wasnt here. I had someone come in to check on the fish as i knew i wouldnt be getting home until later the next day. So they went in cleaned up a little spilled water from the filter that had backflowed into it, but other than that no problem. so i was told the power came back within about 3 hours. so i think ok, there shoudlnt be anythign wrong with it.
i come home today at about 3pm to a tank full of dead fish. All of my fish had died and everythign else looked like it was on the way out. the pump was running completely dry and i found out that the overflow had somehow lost the suction and didnt start back up. So i thought that was the problem. i turn the pump and all the electric off take out the dead fish start back up the overflow and then turn the pump and everything back on. I think everythign is working fine until i decide to put my hand into the tank. i dont even remember what the reason was to put my hand in the tank, but i felt a slight tingle. so i immediately thoght electric. im with my brother and cousin and have them both dip their finger in to see if they feel it or if its just in my head. they eventually feel it, so i figure its some faulty equiptment start unplugging things one at a time and seeing if the tingle is still there. we get to the last plug on the power strip and unplug it and the electric is no longer there. so stupidly i decide to keep my finger in the water while i plug things back in. i wasnt wearing shoes or anythign, just barefoot on tiles which were also a little wet. so as i go to plug in the first plug, on the moment of contact, a full surge of electic runs straight through my body and wow it was a scary feeling. anyway so now i go get another power strip plug all the plugs into there and find out the electric isnt there anymore.
So here is my question, i found out my overflow didnt start back up, the power strips surge protector or somethign was messed up and was causing electric to get into the tank, and the electric went out. is there a company i can go after to cover for the losses? power strip guarentees up to $45000 in "equiptment" replacement. or am i just going to have to suck it up?

reefiness

plus im still wondering whether the fish died of lack of oxygen from the electric beign off that long, or whether they were electrocuted

outsdr2

Hi Sorry to hear about the disaster. I think both lack of oxygen or electric would have been equally eventually fatal. I am not sure on the insurance part concerning the power strip. GL though.

meowzer

WOW...sorry to hear about that, and glad you weren't electrocuted in the process.....anyway...do you still have the packaging and receipt from the power strip? I'd call them.....what have you got to lose

cranberry

Do you have a canister filter or a piece of equipment that would be stagnent during the outage... that got turned back on when the power came on?

cranberry

That's an open system so your safe. It's the water that's trapped in an oxygen restricted area that would be the problem.... like a canister or a chiller.

kevin34

sorry to hear about all that. if you felt an intense shock then that is probably what killed everything. 3 hours isnt enough time for lack of oxygen to kick in. my power went out for close to 8 hours a few weeks ago and besides the temp dropping everything was fine when it finally came back on. sorry to hear about the loss

fau8

I don't think you are going to covered. When your spill occurred it probally seeped into your power strip. It is a good time for everyone to be reminded that power strips should be vertically mounted inside the tank stand away from anyplace that water can come in contact with them. Leaving them on the floor is a serious safety concern.

windlasher

Originally Posted by reefiness
http:///forum/post/3098987
Last night i had the power go out in my house while i wasnt here. I had someone come in to check on the fish as i knew i wouldnt be getting home until later the next day. So they went in cleaned up a little spilled water from the filter that had backflowed into it, but other than that no problem. so i was told the power came back within about 3 hours. so i think ok, there shoudlnt be anythign wrong with it.
i come home today at about 3pm to a tank full of dead fish. All of my fish had died and everythign else looked like it was on the way out. the pump was running completely dry and i found out that the overflow had somehow lost the suction and didnt start back up. So i thought that was the problem. i turn the pump and all the electric off take out the dead fish start back up the overflow and then turn the pump and everything back on. I think everythign is working fine until i decide to put my hand into the tank. i dont even remember what the reason was to put my hand in the tank, but i felt a slight tingle. so i immediately thoght electric. im with my brother and cousin and have them both dip their finger in to see if they feel it or if its just in my head. they eventually feel it, so i figure its some faulty equiptment start unplugging things one at a time and seeing if the tingle is still there. we get to the last plug on the power strip and unplug it and the electric is no longer there. so stupidly i decide to keep my finger in the water while i plug things back in. i wasnt wearing shoes or anythign, just barefoot on tiles which were also a little wet. so as i go to plug in the first plug, on the moment of contact, a full surge of electic runs straight through my body and wow it was a scary feeling. anyway so now i go get another power strip plug all the plugs into there and find out the electric isnt there anymore.
So here is my question, i found out my overflow didnt start back up, the power strips surge protector or somethign was messed up and was causing electric to get into the tank, and the electric went out. is there a company i can go after to cover for the losses? power strip guarentees up to $45000 in "equiptment" replacement. or am i just going to have to suck it up?
most home owner insurance policies DO NOT Cover pets, but you can check.
those strips carry guarantees only for electrical equipment and when used properly (according to them) that is to say that introducing WATER into it will make that guarantee null and void.
my gut tells me that you are going to have to suck it up. sorry for the loss.

meowzer

Originally Posted by windlasher
http:///forum/post/3099411
most home owner insurance policies DO NOT Cover pets, but you can check.
those strips carry guarantees only for electrical equipment and when used properly (according to them) that is to say that introducing WATER into it will make that guarantee null and void.
my gut tells me that you are going to have to suck it up. sorry for the loss.
When I first got all my tanks, I called my insurance agent ...lol...and asked just that....they cover tanks, stands, equipment....NO FISH....

flower

Originally Posted by reefiness
http:///forum/post/3098991
plus im still wondering whether the fish died of lack of oxygen from the electric beign off that long, or whether they were electrocuted

First...glad you are okay!
Next...your fish were not without oxygen that long. The electric surge killed them if it did a shock like that to you...If there is a guarantee...try and collect, what have you got to lose?
Last get GFCI outlets for your tank instead of a surge protector.

montecarloz38

My question is; why dont you have a GFI ? Even a little contact with water would of tripped the GFI and every one would of been safe...

nycbob

3-5 hours are not enough time to kill the fish. i hv my power out for 8-10 hours at least 2-3x per year. power sux here at long island. should get a gfci for ur next setup. its very very likely the electricity killed ur fish. which part of staten island r u from? i can donate some coral frags to u if it makes u feel better.

reefiness

i from southern staten island, in tottenville... but no im fine with corals thanks for the offer... most of the stuff int he tank ended up living. I just lost all the fish and my feather duster. i did try to collect from the surge protector company and they said their products dont cover what they consider high risk scenarios.(wow thats a bullshit way to never need to cover any claims.) I was going to get a GFI but i talked to an electrician who is also a friend and he said that if it were to be there, it would probably trip very frequently because of the UV or something like that so he said best off without it.

cranberry

You need to find a new electrician. I've never heard of one telling you to not install a GFCI. And to say it may trip all the time because of the UV..... that's just wrong, your electrician is incompetent.