Blackspot, Zebra Angelfish?

sailfin

Has anyone ever keept one of these?? We are currently trying to find a centerpiece fish for our reef tank. Just curious if anybody has any experience.

nm reef

Once again jwtrojan44 to the rescue....:D
Just jokin' with ya sir.
...in regard to the information provided all I can say is jwtrojan certainly knows his stuff and we are fortunate to have him around here.
Thanks for the input bud...:yes:

sailfin

Originally posted by jwtrojan44
The black spot (G. melanospilos) is a different species from the zebra (G. caudovittatus). THey are similar in appearance but the black spot male lacks the black markings on the dorsal fin, and the females lack the black bar above the eye, found in the zebra. The picture is dark and it is hard to tell which species it is, other than it is a male with the striations. The females of both don't have the stripes. You won't readily find them unless you check some of the online vendors who specialize in hard to find fish.

Well according to the Scott W. Michael book, "Marine Fishes" and the reputable website by the Drs. both are the same.
Genicanthus melanospilos = Blackspot Angelfish = Zebra Angelfish
Thanks for the input, but as typical of this board I haven't gotten any answers to my question. Just corrections. Please, can someone show me a pic of one in your tank or share your experiences with these fish? Thanks a lot.

cincyreefer

Originally posted by sailfin
Has anyone ever keept one of these?? We are currently trying to find a centerpiece fish for our reef tank. Just curious if anybody has any experience.

I've had a couple before... just typical planktivore. They can be difficult getting to eat, but usually do fine in a reef setting. It would make a nice centerpiece fish though.

bean 1

I have a female in my 75g with a scopas tang and a friedmans dottyback. The females don't have the stripes like the males but they are beautiful fish nonetheless. Most pics don't due this fish justice. Their coloration changes as they move around within the water column from green to yellow which is an interesting contrast to the blue tails with black trim. Unlike the above post, mine has been eating great since the day I bought her. She eats brine and mysis and even various algae dispite being a planktavore. Great fish and definitely worth the $55 that I paid for her. She will be going into a 400g in about a year. I bought the tank and have all the supplies but I'm waiting on my new home to be built. The tank will be in my library...can't wait!!!!
Good Luck