Blasto Question

albfishin'

I purchased a blasto about 2 mos ago. It had 4 heads on the frag. I've noticed over the last week that I am beginning to have tissue recession on one of the heads (can see it's skeleton). I have it in the sand bed with good light. All h2o params are fine. It's in a low flow area.
Should I try spot feeding? If so, with what? With the research that I have done, it mentions nothing about feeding. Any suggestions??? All input will be appreciated. I want to try and save it before its gets worse. Thanks.

murph145

IME blastos can be kinda tricky.... i have some doing great and a few that just sloly receeded for no apparent reason.... i dont specifically spot feed any of mine either but i know they will accept food... if u wanna spot feed squirt some brine/mysid shrimp at them and it will stick to there little tentacles.... only issue is if u have a annoying fish it may steal the food before they eat it.... if that occurs u might have to try and feed during lights off time

albfishin'

Originally Posted by murph145
IME blastos can be kinda tricky.... i have some doing great and a few that just sloly receeded for no apparent reason.... i dont specifically spot feed any of mine either but i know they will accept food... if u wanna spot feed squirt some brine/mysid shrimp at them and it will stick to there little tentacles.... only issue is if u have a annoying fish it may steal the food before they eat it.... if that occurs u might have to try and feed during lights off time
Murph, thanks for the quick reply
The other heads look healthy, do you think they will share the same fate. I will try feeding tonight and see what happens.
This is one of those investments due to the $ that you want to see through to avoid that "pit in the stomach" feeling. Thanks again.

murph145

i know what u mean .... i would watch closely to make sure the others dont start to fade also.... what kind of lights are they under?? like i said blastos are tricky ive had 50/50 fait with them i dont know why they seem to be one of the trickier corals to keep in my tank ... are the other heads all expanded and look happy?? if so just focus on keeping them happy feeding might help good luck

puffer32

I can't keep blastos at all. I guive up, they are not cheap and that sick in the pit of the stomach isn't fun. I tried every thing but first one recedes and the others are not far behind. I feed my tank generously having a queen anthias makes feeding a must. But i still always lose them no matter what lights, got a tank with T5's and one with MH and T5 combo, and they just don't like me, and i can't find the happy meduim for them. I do know i won't try again.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by AlbFishin'
I purchased a blasto about 2 mos ago. It had 4 heads on the frag. I've noticed over the last week that I am beginning to have tissue recession on one of the heads (can see it's skeleton). I have it in the sand bed with good light. All h2o params are fine. It's in a low flow area.
Should I try spot feeding? If so, with what? With the research that I have done, it mentions nothing about feeding. Any suggestions??? All input will be appreciated. I want to try and save it before its gets worse. Thanks.

definetly spot feed them. I used to spot feed them brine and even mysis. It takes them a while for them to drag it to their mouth but they do if you put them directly on the mouth they will eat it in about 25minutes. Its a so long process. The only problem with them is that they are time consuming and they dont grow as fast.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by puffer32
I can't keep blastos at all. I guive up, they are not cheap and that sick in the pit of the stomach isn't fun. I tried every thing but first one recedes and the others are not far behind. I feed my tank generously having a queen anthias makes feeding a must. But i still always lose them no matter what lights, got a tank with T5's and one with MH and T5 combo, and they just don't like me, and i can't find the happy meduim for them. I do know i won't try again.
They are definetly tricky and expensive. If you have metal halides, keep them away from the lighting. Make sure they get indirect light and medium flow and spot feed them like you would for a sun coral.

albfishin'

Originally Posted by murph145
i know what u mean .... i would watch closely to make sure the others dont start to fade also.... what kind of lights are they under?? like i said blastos are tricky ive had 50/50 fait with them i dont know why they seem to be one of the trickier corals to keep in my tank ... are the other heads all expanded and look happy?? if so just focus on keeping them happy feeding might help good luck
I've got them under pc's. In doing research (coral text that I have), it seemed that they didn't need much light and that high light will keep the heads from fully expanding. Yeah, so far, the other three heads look happy and healthy. :notsure: I'll definately try feeding the others.
Murph, kind of depressing news though, I've seen pics of your tank :joy: .....if you can't keep them with much luck, I may be in trouble. Your tank is great!

albfishin'

Murph, quick question......I was successful with getting one head to feed. Looks great right now, fat as can be and head is filled out.
However, I had trouble getting the other two healthy heads to eat due to the way they are positioned. That is, they are both angled down towards the sb from the main stalk. Any suggestions on how to hit the other two without foodstuff falling out???? Thanks- Geoff