Blood parrots.

fishtaco

Well I rescued a blood parrot from Wally World and he is swimming around and happy in my 55. Did not really know much about them, but figured he would be fine in with my silver dollars and add a nice contrast to my all silver tank. I was really suprised to find out there is so much negative press about these fish and some people don't think you should buy them. I can understand to a point, but there are some pretty crazy strains of fancy goldfish out there for sale and at least the parrot I bought seems to have no problems eating or swimming. The other thing I find interesting is why is it such a big deal they are a hybrid? The fact they can't escape and reproduce seems like it would be a positive.
Fishtaco

reefkprz

the controversy is not over the fact they are hybrids but because of the (often) fatal deformities this hybridization causes. generally a mouth not adapted to eating, so they starve. its a matter of ethics rather than its going to replace or outcompete natural animal.
and no not all blood parrots are sterile successful breeding has ocurred.

s10lowrider

We had one in a tank with a few other south american cichlids for at least 2 years and it did great. Yes they are hybrids and you do from time to time hear of issues but on the other hand there are just as many healthy ones out there. We didnt realize there was such a controversy until long after purchasing the fish. All in al it was healthy and interesting to watch, just lost a battle to a few territorial tank mates.

lorene

I kept several for MANY years without problems! I think they are a beautiful fish with their little smiley faces but I also feel bad that they are bred wrongfully. I struggle with the double edged sword of buying creatures that do not exist in nature, but I mean if we dont take care of the ones already here and living, who will?
I also have an Albino Bell Enigma Leopard Gecko that was so horribly inbred that he walks like a drunken sailor in circles. I got him for such a fantastic price ($20) and he was the most beautifully colored gecko on the table at the reptile fair how could I resist his little smiling face? Well it was my 10 year old daughter who spotted him first and begged me for him, but I instantly fell in love with our little Sonny and he now has a great home where he is loved and cared for no matter if he isn't what other breeders and keepers "want".
So you enjoy your little Blood Parrot and I am sure he will enjoy you (It only takes one look at that little smile of his to tell he is happy!)

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Lorene
http:///forum/post/3156879
I kept several for MANY years without problems!

Ahhh and therin lies the crux of my dismay. the dozen in a brood or more that make it to the pet store to be bought, and of those bought how many live beyond purchase, you have purchased several from , I would guess several broods....... they are truly delightful creatures to see a happy (in our minds, can we truly know) bumbeling fish that is always smiling tooling around the tank and lives. they are quite hardy IF you get one with a mouth that isnt deformed beyond the capability to eat, IF.
I am not saying YAY or NAY for or against the selling/breeding of these fish. ok I lied I am saying nay please hear me nay to this.
I myself find irresponsible crossbreeding a travesty. but just the same I find irresponsible cat breeding a travesty. cats are well adapted to survival in a domestic sort of way. but letting irresponsible breeding/inbreeding take place Is a travesty (in my mind and this is the ethics part, its not natural, yes in clown fish maybe in the wild clownfish can lay hundreds or thousands of eggs and most dont live but these are viable creatures to begin with, I can keep babbeling and prosing, but no this industry IMO should not be supported (and face it fish folks what restraints do fish breeders have other than lets make it viable, because the 1 in 1thousand that live will pay for the rest that die) and their own conscience. often in breeder shop facilities its about $$$$$ not conscience. the fact that these fish are attractive is the devil in the eyes, if its beautiful why not.......

fishtaco

Not that it matters in the discussion really, but I am happy to report the parrot I bought is doing well and scheduled to make the move from my 55 into a 100 gallon tropical stock tank water feature I am doing for my greenhouse sometime this winter. Now once I get my herd of 8 large silver dollars, the parrot and a large pictus cat into the bigger set-up is there a reason I should not buy one of those new blue Jack Dempsey's for the 55?
Fishtaco

ophiura

We must be careful to not impose too many human emotions on these animals. This is why we think dolphins are always happy...it is just that there mouth turns in a certain way and that is a smile to us...so they must be happy. We have to be real careful of this as it is basically, IMO, the marketing gimmick. And it works. But they can be in a 10g tank with that same face when someone thought they were cute but didn't have the ability to care for it (happens to oscars in a horrible way).
They are sold with south American cichlids as they are a hybrid of them but in many cases can not stand up remotely well to their more aggressive cousins. So many do have a sad fate in that regard.
And further to this, any that are dyed or "painted" or even injected (as are "painted" glassfish) are a further issue for me. there are plenty of beautiful fish and yet these are created specifically for the demand in the aquarium hobby for some of these fish.
I do have an issue, FWIW, with the ornamental goldfish industry actually and find many of them that can barely swim or have deformed eyes to be pretty dang gross.
I see it as one thing (though a slippery slope) to start breeding different colors of fish, but once you start basically impacting more specific morphology like fins and mouths...I really have to question that at some point :(

louti

Yea, I always find it funny when customers see blood parrots and say "this is the happiest fish I've ever seen." No, it just has a deformed looking mouth that looks like a smile. We sell the painted parrots too, and that just seems wrong to me.
And fishtaco, I have no idea how the electric blue Jack Dempseys are bred, but they are a sweet looking fish.