Blood shrimp or Peppermint shrimp?

I want to add a couple of shrimp to my tank. Should I go with a Blood red fire, peppermint, or skunk cleaner shrimp.
29 gal. No shrimp eating inhabitants.
Looking for suggestions or pros and cons.
Thanks..........MCF

nm reef

Any of your choices would work...I've kept peppermints for aptasia control and I also have a pair of cleaners currently that have been a great addition. Sadly my peppermints were a meal for a coris wrasse several months ago...but I may eventually add a couple more in the near future.
NMREEF website
"Whiskey for my men...beer for my horses."
nmreef@cox.net

N

nick17

If you just wish to add one, add the Skunk Cleaner.. just my opinion.
I'd add one of each.. another opinion :)
-Nick

shanev

Can a blood shrimp and a skunk shrmip live together? Will they pair up an clean or set up 2 "stations"?

N

nick17

I am assuming it's possible.. but don't know too much about shrimp.
I know that the wathcman goby and a pistol shrimp will pair up.
Don't get me wrong on the shrimp factor.. I do know a little about them.
-Nick

I was thinking probably one blood shrimp or skunk cleaner, but if I went with peppermints I might get two or three.
Are Peps better in groups? This is what I have read, but how about in your setup NMReef?
MCF

cadbury

Both of them will be fine together, I have 2 cleaner shrimps, 1 Blood shrimps and he sometime hangs with the cleaner shrimp, they all do the same thing. I also have a pair of Harlequins but there totally to themselves and mind their own.....

Thanks all,
I really like the looks of the blood shrimp, I think i'll start there. I may add some Peps in the future. Good to know they will be compatible.
MCF

lesleybird

Hi,
I have had both peppermint shrimp and the scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp and like them both. The peppermint shrimp are a lot cheaper, but the scarlet skunk shrimp are a lot more outgoing and don't hide like the peppermints and are a little prettier to look at. I tried to mix both varities and the skunk shrimp were agressive to the peppermints and in two days the peppermints totally dissapeared. Don't know who ate them!!!! Lesley

jugger

i currently have a pep, blood and a cleaner all together in a 20g... i never really see the blood or the pep.. but the cleaner is always out.... as soon as i put my hand in the tank it jumps right on and picks at me...v the others stay to them selves and only come out during feeding time....
i would go with the cleaner at min... and maybe a blood, but dont expect to see the blood to often

phil1964

My blood shrimp is not seen much either. Except his white antennae. I have 7 pepermints and they are very active. The blood does clean my tang sometimes.

slappy

i have a blood, 2 pepermints, a cleaner and a cbs, in a 30 all seem to get along just fine. the blood and pepermints do seem to hide a little more then i would like but not much can be done about that i guess. someone mentioned a watchmen teaming up with a pistol, well mine spends all day with the cbs, really weird the way they act towards one another

searcher

Get two cleaner shrimps and they'll start breeding. The babies are a nice source of food for the other inhabitants of the tank.
The blood red shrimp looks great but it hides most of the time.

clarkiiboi

I have 2 skunks and agree with a source of food, and see them all the time. I know (and sure you do too) that peppermints go after aptasia (sp), thats a added bonus, but also eat things like yellow polyps and that's not so good. That is what made me pick up the skunks instead. Up to you, and good luck.