BLUE FLOWERPOTS! (Goniopora)

shawnts106

Well, this is the ONEEEEE CORAL that I have alllwaysss wanted.. SOOO, I talked to my boss (LFS) and she ordered one for me!! they only had ONE! and its SUPER BLUE!!! IM SOOO EXCITED!
My tank has been doing so well with the Alveopora that I have fraged twice and the Red Goniopora so I decided to get me a RARE BLUEEE ONE!!!!! HEHEHE!
comes In TOMOROW, cant wait... of course :)
Please dont preach at me people who think you cant keep them in captivity.. they are very difficult yes, but it can be done, and has been done, and is continueing to be done!
esspecially in MY TANK LOL!!!
Please for those people who are new at this hobby, and have tried these Flowerpot corals and have failed, do not go out and BUY one after the other, do some SERIOUS research on these corals, talk to people that have kept them, and above all be patient... Do NOT go out and buy one just because you have seen a handfull of people that can keep these beautiful creatures, they are indeed corals that require a little more than the average water change and some flouresence bulbs, they require dirrect feedings and numberous other things, there is STILL VERY MUCH to learn about these corals, and untill they are learned about more I stress unto you that you restrain yourself from getting one untill you have done alot of research, your tank is matured (2yrs +) and you have a good understanding of Coral Ecology
etc... etc....etc... :rolleyes:
BUT FOR THOSE THAT CAN KEEP THESE CORALS, how many of ya' have BLUE GONIOPORA!????!!!???!!!

who dey

the only coral i have ever had die in my life is the flowerpot. not too many success stories i don't think

iceemn360

you may have not visited notallowed.com, I bet its one of the biggest secrets to taking care of gonis. Its techniques have made my goni look 1000X better and regenerating some lost areas while adding a LOT of polyps.stillnotallowed.com has conducted a thorough study on just gonis.

shawnts106

LOL, too much maintanence, hey thats a price IM WILLING TO PAY, not to mention Im going to be paying out the WAZZUKAA to get this thing LOL!
ok, Im checking this site out now, hold on!
OHHHH YES, I have seen this site, LOVE IT, wrote the people and everything! they have dont some seriously good research on these corals, i do not use the same Liquid Life they use, I use a mixture of DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton and some Kent brand Chromoplex with the occational feeding of baby brine shrimp... they seem to love it :)
yes the mixuture I use has the same effects, regenterating tissue etc... thats why Im able to frag my alveopora!
not going to try the Red Gonio, seems to difficult!

duke13

For those who want a FlowerPot but without the risk or responsibilties, go buy an Alveopora.
It has lower lighting needs and is so much hardier than Goniopora. The main difference between the two is the number of 'petals' on the polyps. Goniopora has 24 while Alveopora has 12. I've had my Alveopora for over a year and the only special thing I do is dose calcium every now and then. It should be placed on the bottom of the tank just like a Goniopora and it requires moderate flow (but not too much, they don't like getting blasted). Also, extremely high lighting (I'm talking about 250w Halides + PCs) will bleach it. I have seen Alveopora do fine under 150w Halides.

shawnts106

Agreed DUKE, except one thing, I have my 75 gallon with 4 110 Watt VHOs 3 actinics 1 50/50 and my alveo is placed mid,high with no problems, I believe they can tollerate a variety of lighting, but MH is a bit extreme I believe as well!!!
:)

nm reef

I'd sure like to see pics of the corals being discussed here. Actually pics now....then again in 12 months. Even with pics over a 12 month period it'd be difficult to "claim" success....seldom do these corals last much longer than 12 months and those that do are the exception not the rule.
...and as reflected by te edits to some of the responses here please refrain from reference to or access to other hobby related websites.

gregm779

Mine are just starting to fade away now, they are about 12 months old. I feed them every other day with DTs. Maybe you were lucky enough to find an aquacultured one and that's why it is still doing well.
Below is a recent pic of mine. The top is a branching Goni and the bottom is a flowerpot goniopora. Light doesn't really affect them in my experience, I've had them a the top with the SPS to the bottom.

ophiura

I'm also waiting for the year pics :yes: Just like with many critters...things can do "great!" for several months, but it is keeping them past a year that is the critical point. That is the time to celebrate :cheer: and I hope there will be reason too. :yes:

bri23520

i have the green gonipora (sp?) for over a 1 1/2 years now and i dont feed it or any of my corals anything, and everything is thriving. only softies for now, gotta save up some overtime money hor mh

ophiura

There are definitely tanks where they do very well, without any special care, and others where they just limp along for awhile. The most productive thing, IMO, is to find these tanks where they survive (and here I will throw in the "over a year") and try and see what is similar in them (lighting, skimming level, additives, etc).

bri23520

btw my lights are only 265w pc flow rate is 1825 hr the gonipora is close to the top and when it is fully extended it comes to the top of the water. I dont know if i should lower it or not. what does everybody think? :help:

ophiura

Man if you've kept it 1.5 years, don't listen to our advice. :) But what about skimming, etc? So this is not a SPS tank...do you feed heavily? Trying to figure out if it would be considered more of a "dirty" tank (no offense meant). And do you put in any additives? What salt mix do you use?

bri23520

no additives i have a sea clone protein skimmer everyone might laugh but the skimmer does a very good job i use coralife salt, i never add calcium or dk and my calcium is always 430 and my dkh is always 11

shawnts106

I'd sure like to see pics of the corals being discussed here. Actually pics now....then again in 12 months. Even with pics over a 12 month period it'd be difficult to "claim" success....seldom do these corals last much longer than 12 months and those that do are the exception not the rule.
Notice the negitivity, geeze NM, like I dont know this, Please if your going to tell me something be possitive, say something like, hope everything goes well to say the least!
Well... <-- very upset today! Apparently there was a mixup in the warehouse.... the guy told us that he had one, they had labeled Blue Zoos as a Blue Flowerpot!!!
so we receieved blue zoos, :(, well thats not all that bad!!!
anyway, I will have to wait untill they reallllllllly get one now! but I do know they exist, just hard and rare to find!!!
I think the Blues are a color morph of the Purple Gonioporas
Bang, I think your right about the Green Flowerpots lol, they are hard to keep and they have been very troublesome, in the past, these are the ones that are sold the most and die the worst!!!
My alveopora is fine, it droped a tenticle today, so im hoping that it is going to attach and turn into another aquacultured alveopora!
the Red Goni is very upset right now, I think that it was dammaged in shipping and I see a small spot on him that is sluffing off, about the size of a pinky figernail... but I took care of it, blew the bad spot off and put some liquid gold on there to help, dont have any iodine!
so far hes blooming out but he is just not around that area... I think he'll heal up and be fine, just gotta give it some extra TLC! lol, not tender living care, but Tender Loveing Care LOL!
well, both but just not the product TLC!
anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry about the dissapointment all you guys, you should have seen me as I opened eat box awaiting its arrival, I got down to the last 2 bags and thought, oh no, something just isnt right about this!
well, all is ok now, still have everything else, just a little dissapointed with the SUPPLIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
errrrrrrrrr
Ill try and find a picture one, i forget where it is!