Blue Hamlet Experience

ophiura

Hi Everyone,
I am wondering if anyone has experience with any hamlets. I am particularly interested in the blue hamlet Hypoplectrus gemma.
There is not a lot of info on them, but I love them in the wild. I know they are relatively secretive I think, and possibly a threat to small fish and shrimp...
And I happen to have a small fish and a shrimp in my reef.
Anyone try to keep them?

aquaknight

Very curious to hear/see the replies as well.
I had asked before on another board about Indigo Hamlets. Only response was from a guy will a Blue. Said it was extremely shy at first, then around 1 week, 1 1/2 or so, starting coming out more, had been an indestructible fish ever since. As you can see, safe with a large CBS.

As for if they will eat tankmates, Bob Fenner states anything bigger then guppy size, 1" or so, should be safe. However i did find a reply on the another board that one guys was caught with his lawnmover blenny tail sticking out of its mouth.

nycbob

i hv one in my fowlr. its out all the time. it will eat shrimps and small fish. very hardy fish.

lion_crazz

I kept a blue hamlet in my 75 years ago. It was a great fish but definitely can be a bit aggressive to smaller fish. The first six months or so it was a model citizen but it became a bit aggressive to my smaller stuff (dart gobies, lawn mower).