Blue hippo?

tangs123

Originally Posted by foundanemo
my blue hippo is rubbing against the rocks. it has done this sencebi got it just tought it was weird.
he may have ich, do you have a cleaner shrimp?

foundanemo

no i dont have a cleaner should i get one. i did have two but they died. i have been lokking at it for weeks but no spots. but i guess that does not mean it does not have ich.

reefiness

ya i would say he has ich, did you QT him before introducing, also depending on the amount of large fish you have a cleaner wrassse may be an option because in my case i bought cleaner shrimp and they just hid in the rocks and never cleaned, then i bought some neon gobies but they were so small that within a few days they were all gone so i went to a cleaner wrasse and he does a good job on my tangs. plus i also got one in my 29 gallon and he spends all day picking at my flame angel plus both of them eat prepared foods so thats another plus although not all of them do that so dont make that make up your mind, but im just tryin to show you that not all these species which are supposed to clean your fish actually work

miaheatlvr

my blue hippo is rubbing against the rocks. it has done this sencebi got it just tought it was weird.
My cleaner shrimp do not clean shrimp as well,, neon goby i the way to go! so so beneficial and so hearty! Stay away from the cleaner wrasse though, and good luck!

alyssia

what is wrong with the wrasse is it aggressive

No, but they don't survive in captivity (only in EXTREMELY rare cases do they live). Definitely not something that is generally recommended on here.

stanlalee

Hippo tangs are known to scratch from time to time (more so then other fish) but it shouldn't be excessive. Sometimes even after they recover from ich it takes a while before the skin is not irritated and they stop scratching excessively.