Blue leg hermits and haiw zebra's

sting_ray29

Do blue hermits and zebras attack much? I hear blue legs are, but what do they kill? See, my arrow crab is killing my snails and scarlet hermits, and I was wondering if they could take on a blue leg or hawai (haiwi's have better Defense I think)?????????????????

jacksonpt

I've heard that Zebras are one of the most aggressive reef safe hermits, though I have no first hand experience. My bluelegs haven't hurt anything in my tank, though, again... I have read that they can be aggressive when it comes time to find a new shell.

gesswhosbak

Mostly they will attack snails to get their shells if they are in need. I guess they would attack other crabs too if the need was big enough.
-Gess

harlequin

I have had both of these for over a year. Blues can be aggressive to smaller snails. I have never had an aggression problem with zebras however. They seem content to do whatever it is zebras do heheh.

sting_ray29

I am looking for a hermit crab that can withstand a arrow crab from killing it..... Are the zebra's good at defending??

I don't know if they'd stand much of a chance against an arrow crab, but they do get quite a bit larger than most reef hermits.

harlequin

I dont think any if the left handed hermits would have a problem with arrow crabs. I have never heard of arrows bothering hermits in the first place. Their claws are not meant for piercing armor. I think blue legs eat more algae than zebras so I am about even on which one I prefer. I wouldnt hesitate to buy either for my tanks if i needed some.