Blue Linckia

marsilly

Have a Blue but I think it has little tiny white worms. I have seen some whit filiments ont he top on a palce that looks like a cut. Could this be? Sorry not picture

michaeltx

how did you acclimate the star and how long have you had it.
also post tank parameters size and how much LR and inhabitants that you have,.
my first thought is osmotic shock that will slowly kill the star and it will start to disentegrate from this condition.
Mike

marsilly

Have had it for 2 weeks, drip acculamate 3-4 hours
ammonia 0 to.25
ph 8.0 to 8.2
nitrate-0
nitrite-0
salt 1.022 (too low?)
aprox. 75 lbs live rock-really hasn't done much since I got it, 7 years ago
So I got new lights 1st of last month new filter at the same time Lost my sailfin. Had for 10 years.
Seems like now that I want to move on with things. It's not going to happen without a hitch. I still concider myself beginner. Don't venture too far.
Have a BCS. condy, 2 clowns. angel and a newsail fin( he seems to be doing fine)got him at the same time as the star.

earnit33

Have you noticed anything picking at him,I had a orange Linkia and my blue devil damsel picked at him until he actually tore one of his legs and then of course the hermits got involved and I lost him! Good Luck!

texasmetal

Most starfish ailments are due to issues with acclimation. On a side note, changing to new filtration might have caused a cycle in your tank. I'm always skeptical about 0 nitrates.

michaeltx

1.022 is to low for inverts especially inverts like the linkia stars that are super sensitive to salinity ad changes in it. it should be closer to 1.025-1.026 and kept stable do you have a auto topoff system or do you do your own top off and about how much is evaporating at a time.
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2660732
1.022 is to low for inverts especially inverts like the linkia stars that are super sensitive to salinity ad changes in it. it should be closer to 1.025-1.026 and kept stable do you have a auto topoff system or do you do your own top off and about how much is evaporating at a time.
Mike
Absolutely

1.022 is very low for inverts, especially stars.
Can you post a picture of him?