blue linka star in a 29 gallon???

scottgotts

my LFS has a blue linka star that i really like and i also like the brittlestars that they have and i was just wondering if the linkas and brittlestars are complety reef safe and invert/fish safe. The reason i was asking is because i have heard lots of storys about fish and inverts dying/dissapearing and the brittlestars are the ones at the crimescene and if they are indeed safe then would they be compatable with cleaner shrimp and flame scallops in a 29 gallon???
****also i dont have any flame scallops yet but was thinking in the future****

fishmamma

It is a no on the blue linkia. Would definatly starve in a 29. Sad but true. A brittle or serpent should do fine in your tank with all your inhabitants (I think) but maybe Ophuira will see this and post. She is the star expert and full of good advice.

mbrands

Originally Posted by scottgotts
yeah but would they eat a flame scallop???
The brittle would, but I don't think the serpent would.

keonia

Hi,
I really wanted a blue linka too (I have a 29 gallon - going to 37 gallon). Even with this upgrade, the Star Shark says it's not adequate. You need to have an established tank and lots of room for the linka's. Look into the brittle's !! Do a search on Flame scallops on this site, lots of informative information. My Scallop died :(
Good luck !

scottgotts

thx everyone
i just got a searpent star today will he be ok in a 29 gallon??? should i add any extra food???

mbrands

Originally Posted by scottgotts
i just got a searpent star today will he be ok in a 29 gallon???
Always research before purchasing anything! What do you plan to do with the star you've already purchased if everyone on here tells you that it won't be ok?

keonia

Congrats on your new addition!!
I dunno about the serpant star, but for my brittle's I spot feed!!
well, my darn green brittle steals the food from my zoo's!!! ughhhh!

ophiura

1) Absolutely NO on the Linckia - IMO - of any type. None of the reef safe stars are particularly well suited to such a small tank. Most will starve. Will every single one of them die? No, but MOST would die, IMO.
2) Not all brittlestars or serpenstars (which are the same thing) will eat a scallop...however, the scallop may also have issues and many do not live beyond a year. They also tend to starve...not always...but quite frequently. Anyway, IMO, they are not all that likely to eat the scallop. Maybe the greens but even then not extremely likely. The green is a known predator and IMO should probably be avoided. Most others SHOULD be Ok but should be spot fed.
Also note that they are not extremely well suited for young tanks...or tanks with water quality issues. Specific gravity is critical, and should be around 1.025-1.026. Avoid sudden changes in any parameters.