Blue Linkia died

yammer

Today a blue linkia that I've had for about a month died. He had been hanging limply for a few days but finally gave out and was partially disintegrating this morning. I'm pretty sure he starved to death. I tried repeatedly to get him food and even placed him directly on top of some diced mysis and regular grocery store cocktail shrimp. In every case he didn't seem interested and moved off.
My tank is 100 gal and is about 2 1/2 months old. I check my levels religiously and seem to have a very steady system despite its level of maturity. I use a pH monitoring system and watched it closely because I'm aware of starfish's suseptibility to pH fluctations. My setup includes lr & ls and a refugium and my nitrates have been 0 since about the 3 week mark (after it cycled).
My main question is for those who have successfully kept blue linkia's. If I plan on getting another one somewhere down the road, are there any techniques I might use to be more successful next time? Those who have them; do you directly feed them or do they survive on the tanks' natural detritous accumulation?
Thanks for your help :)

25gator

well i dont have one yet but i will ! i think they nead a more est. tank to feed on detritus ect. but they are sensitive i've been told. :D

k.lee

:(
Hmm
I lost my Blue Linkia about 2 weeks agop, buit, I had just bought it.
I'd recommend anyone wait for 5-6 months b4 trying to buty one. Salinity seenms to be the killer in my case. My last example of this species clung tight to a ropc, until, I tried to reduce SG, thenext day, it was on the floor. He/sh distintegratwede approx.48 hours later.
I think the salinity change in acclamation is more crucial in stars than shrimp, butcwtf do I klnow.
/me lost 2 BL. Me hates that, and will wait along time b4 a third. The first two were morew than ten years apart. Beautiful creatures, I wish niot to kill,and, because of thatw ll try other stars. ;)

k.lee

Forgot to mention I did a water change degrading the SG about 1.0. :( That night before I had the disabled star. Stupid mistake?

k.lee

Originally posted by golfish:
<strong>They need a mature tank with lots of film algae's. The also need to be acclumated very very slowly (2hrs min) I would wait a year or so before you try another.
Try to do some research on the critters BEFORE you buy them.</strong><hr></blockquote>
WERD. I hjave a tingie now, a star. BVeeb acimating for about 9 hours now. Be a year p0rolly b4 aq notgher linkia for me

johnnysalt

Originally posted by K.Lee:
<strong>
WERD. I hjave a tingie now, a star. BVeeb acimating for about 9 hours now. Be a year p0rolly b4 aq notgher linkia for me
</strong><hr></blockquote>
Sorry for your loss, but can I get you a kleenex WITH a DICTIONARY?!!
This goes to show this board needs a "Spell check" option when replying! :D