blue regal tang

azonic

Ok i saw THE CUTEST/COOLEST fish ive ever seen today. It was a baby regal tang. It was only 2 centimetres long but his colors were amazing. They were so bright and clear. The whole time i was looking at him he was hiding in a whole in some rock that was no bigger then a nickel. He will be the first fish to go in my 38 gallon tank when it's cycled. These guys can get to 18 inches ive heard...how long does it take to get that long because ive also heard that they grow slowly...or was that naso's. hrm anyone?

m1rodrig

He will eventually outgrow that tank.Don't plan on keeping him long term in there.I don't know how quick he will grow,but unless you have plans on a bigger tank I would not get him..But it's your tank,I'm not trying to burst your bubble or anything but that's just my opinion

m1rodrig

You might be o.k. however I'm not sure about Tangs growth rate.Hopefully somebody more familiar with their growth rate can give you a better answer as far as how much time you got.What other fishes are you going to put in there.You might be tight on that too with the tang in there.

opazen

I think that the smaller the tang the harder they are to keep. Because tangs are so suseptable to ich the smaller they are the lesser chance they have of fighting it. Be prepared for a commitment to stress free environment because they are harder to keep the smaller they are.

m1rodrig

You should be ok if you maintain your water parameters ok mainly PH and temp in a smaller tank temp can fluctuate a lot quicker than in a larger tank.When I bought my perc he was tiny he is doing fine.I really don't think size has as much to do with it.as maintaining your water quality does

azonic

Something else to bug you about :p Do you think a black ribbon eel would be ok in a 38 gallon? It will be a reef tank...so are these reef safe? LFS near me has one in a 125 hex reef and it does fine in there with a boxfish and 2 clowns. He said all it does for the most part is curl up in the sand bed and stick it's head out. Anyone know?

von_rahvin

a boxfish is shall we say not the best choice to have in a reef, they will pick at both clam sand corals and if they stress they emite a toxin into the water and will kill the tank. Ribbon eels are among the hardest of the marine aquaria to keep alive. they are very hard to feed and most of the times die soon after introducing them into a tank. also a 38 gal is a little small to keep any of the larger eel species in. I would not put one in anything less than 100 gal.