Blue ring octopus

thauro77

Hello:
I am considering purchasing a blue ring octopus for my 75gl tank.
I have searched this for a year by know and I am aware of the dangers and all. I want to see if anyone has ever kept any in their tanks. The place was I am getting this, sells them like "souvenirs" they have them all the time and around $50. So far I have not heard of any deaths caused to this in Seattle.
If anyone has kept one I am interested in your ideas and suggestions.
Please, be serious and refrain from the usual remarks of dangers and all.
Thanks

nigerbang

Not worth the risk involved... Octo's dont have a long life in captivity and can get out of the smallest opening possible..

nycbob

any reason why u would consider getting one? besides the risk, they r not even all that nice.

thauro77

I think they are awsome. I was considering another type of ocotopus but it seems that the blue ring is one of the very few available octopus that are reef safe, do not attack fish if kept well feed and are beautiful.
The ones at the place that has them, you walk towards the tank and they start changing colors and they just swim away and hide and they start popping arround. If you have any suggestions on a less dangerous octopus please let me know. I want an small one.

crimzy

Originally Posted by thauro77
http:///forum/post/2942174
I think they are awsome. I was considering another type of ocotopus but it seems that the blue ring is one of the very few available octopus that are reef safe, do not attack fish if kept well feed and are beautiful.
The ones at the place that has them, you walk towards the tank and they start changing colors and they just swim away and hide and they start popping arround. If you have any suggestions on a less dangerous octopus please let me know. I want an small one.
I say go for it. These threads usually turn into a bashing session but the posters do generally have the OP's best interests at heart.

They are a beautiful species. If you are well versed on the risks and are willing to risk your life, I say go for it. No offense but I don't know you and if something bad were to happen, why would I be more concerned about your safety than you are? (But be aware that I am a cold hearted

[hr]
!)

Good luck.

str8salt

I have kept several octopuses. or is it octopie? spelling? Incredible tank additions. If you are looking for behavior then they can't be beat. They are short lived so that is a factor. they also need to be kept entertained. they will get bored if fed the same thing the same way all of the time. I saw one that would open a glass jar to get to a food item that was inside. I don't know if I would condider them reef safe though. Best of luck

halostalker

well cool and best of luck, i actually thought they were really hard to get, being as they are from Australia and being 50 dollars is really cheap for one, at least in my eyes.
any chance of u sending my the link i wana ready up im curious.

thauro77

Hey man, any suggestions on keeping these little guys? I will really appreciate your ideas and experience if you are willimg to share it. Thanks

snakeblitz33

Feed em' a lot, keep a tight fitting lid (which will probably affect pH drastically) and enjoy em' for the six months yah got em'.

Well i just can't believe with the liability factor alone they can be sold as pets! Thats just the lawyer talking in me! But what an interesting case that would be! p.s. any occurences are ficticious and are completly coincidental! HAHAHA! Did you guys read about the stupid German tourist that tried to get a pic. with a blue ring and got bit and died 4 minutes later? Really a true story! Look it up! Seriously though bro. most of the crap that ends up at l.f.s are bought in bulk from 3rd world countries and they have no idea what the shipment is so they get anything that gets netted! Ever wondered why they always have so many darn hatian anenome?

thauro77

Ko everyone, I will not buy it. Actually the guy from the petstore told me he only sells them, he said if I get killed or somethingh is not his bussines and he dose not care if anythig happens at all. I asked him how to take care of it and he said look in the internet. So, being things the way they are. I guess I will not get it.

oceansidefish

If you want a cool species tank go with one of the anglers....Those things are pretty darn cool and way less deadly!