blue-spot puffer nipped my clowns tail. what should i do?

enriqueb

hello. i have a 29 gal FOWLR with a clownfish, yellow watchman and a newly added blue spot puffer that just took a nice piece off my clownfish's tail fin. i have tried to keep an eye on them since but I was wondering is there anything I can do other than take him back? I have heard that some puffers do this but is it something occasional or should I worry about the clownfish longterm? thanks for any help.

sepulatian

I think you are taking chances if you keep him. In a larger system the clown would be able to get away, but in a 29 there is very limited space to hide.

yea your pushing it in a 29. and blue spots are some of the worst fin nippin of all the puffers. another thing puffers produce a ton of waste so that should be the only fish in a tank as small as a 29g. but i guess if you keep your tank really clean the yellow watchman can stay. so if you want to keep more fish and some more inverts bring back the puffer but if you like the puffer bring back the clown and try to find some inverts he wont bother to keep the tank clean.