blue spotted jawfish question...

chadman

we bought a blue spotted jawfish a few days ago...after finishing digging his second fort under the rocks he now doesn't seem to want to eat much...he is hovering around the entrance to his hole like he's hungry but when i try dropping food right at the entrance for him he blows it away...why is this does anyone know any tricks to feeding them?

nicetry

What are you feeding it? It may simply not like whats on the menu. Sadly, these are not very good captive fish and many succumb to illness. Seems to be an affliction particular to this species. Hope it does well for you.

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by nicetry
What are you feeding it? It may simply not like whats on the menu. Sadly, these are not very good captive fish and many succumb to illness. Seems to be an affliction particular to this species. Hope it does well for you.
I agree with u its not a very good captive fish. buts its so beautiful. its a hit or miss fish. they usally go for mysis if the food ever go around their burrow. caution though. these are notorious tank jumpers.

chadman

frozen mysis shrimp? we have been trying to feed him frozen shrimp flake food and pellet food and he just blows it out of the hole...they say that usually if they are going to jump it is before they set up there home but he has two homes in the tank....

chadman

he is sooo freakin cool though...it seems to be that the best looking fish are the hardest to keep

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by chadman
he is sooo freakin cool though...it seems to be that the best looking fish are the hardest to keep
so true... yeah just give it some time and offer different foods. maybe all u need is a little bit of luck.

chadman

this may sound like a dumb question...but when you speak of mysis shrimp are you speaking of a frozen food...i have heard mysis shrimp thrown around for years on this sight but have never fed my fish mysis...i feed them frozen shrimp but not specifically mysis...are mysis similar to a copepod in size? can you stock a tank with mysis as you can copepods?

lazypinoy

this may sound like a dumb question...but when you speak of mysis shrimp are you speaking of a frozen food...i have heard mysis shrimp thrown around for years on this sight but have never fed my fish mysis...i feed them frozen shrimp but not specifically mysis...are mysis similar to a copepod in size? can you stock a tank with mysis as you can copepods?
hers a pic of how they look like, they are like frozen cubes of shrimp which u feed daily or w/e.

lazypinoy

so if he doesnt' eat regular frozen shrimp would frozen mysis shrimp be any different?
Well it should, mysis is usually accepted by most fish. i had mine and it ate it up. but died of some skin disease. yeah its diffent due to size and i dont kno cuz im not a fish but proabbly taste and smell.

chadman

anything for my friend from the lbc...my favorite artist of all time is from the lbc...WARREN G BABY!!