Blue Starfish

starfish29

I have heard that blue starfish are reef safe...has this been everyone's experience. My local store also has an orange one, but books have conflicting opinions of those, and I really can not tell what type the orange one is. What is your opinion of starfish in reef tanks...my tank is 75 gallons.

fishfreek

I tried to keep a blue star once but it died soon after acclimation to my tank. I have since heard that these starfish in particular are difficult to keep. I have a burundy formosa(sp) that looks very much like a blue exept for the color. It was reccomended to me some time ago after i lost the blue and was told it was easier to keep than the blues. I have had this one about three months without a problem. He is absolutly beautiful and is very active moving about the tank all day. I also have a red brittle starfish witch is nocternal fo the most part, only comes out in the day time to snag a snack at feeding time. :D Both of these are reef safe (along with blue linkia). For the most part, if a starfish has no bumps it is said to be reef safe. HTH

katara

I was told my lfs not to buy a blue linkia because they need corals to survive ..Of course I didn't listen(being inexperienced and thinking I knew it all) and it started to die within 3 weeks..My lfs had warned me that if they die they release deadly toxins to your tank so I had to dispose of him..I have run into several people since, none of which have been able to keep a blue linkia alive under any conditions.Good luck.

jhueb12

I've had my blue linkia(sp?) for about 2 months now. It's doin just fine and every morning is on the front of the tank. When i come back into the room it's gone. Sometimes on the LR of sometimes by the overflow. Anyway it's been doin cool so i guess I got lucky enough to be able to house one, for now! :D