blue tang ?

kyle10

got this tang on monday night ...today i noticed this big white mark about the size of an eraser...
can anyone idea please...
thanks

nas19320

It may just be a scratch as they like to wedge themselves into rocks, I would just keep an eye on it. HTH

evilss

it could be ich starting to come up. is he the only fish in your tank? if there are any other fish do they have any spots?

bdhough

spots the size of erasers are not ich. he's probably missing scales. it happens often enough and considering the regal tangs behavior of lying down is not uncommon. is there a fish nipping at him/chasing him? i would not worry about it unless you notice them spreading.

evilss

thats why i asked other questions about his setup. plus i have seen pictures of ich starting off in one spot on a fish. i have actually watched ich take over part of a fish before it spread to the whole fish.

kyle10

hes not the only fish in the tank ther are 10 other fish nothing wrong with any of them....also the hippo is eating and swimming around just fine.

bdhough

well alrighty. i wouldn't worry then. sounds like the new fish syndrome :) usually something wrong with a new fish :)
i would definitely keep your eyes peeled though for the next couple of weeks. these guys are ich magnets and if its going to break out it will be in the next couple of weeks that it happens.

kitty

Originally posted by bdhough
spots the size of erasers are not ich. he's probably missing scales. it happens often enough and considering the regal tangs behavior of lying down is not uncommon. is there a fish nipping at him/chasing him? i would not worry about it unless you notice them spreading.

I agree! Ick is the size of the pencil point, not the other end! Check closely for anything that looks fuzzy or stringy clinging to the wound. This would indicate a fungal or bacterial infection. Looking blood-shot would also be bad. HTH