blue tang ?

officerricv

i have a small blue tang. has been in the tank for 5 days now. i have noticed that he spends alot of time behind a powerhead, in the hole of a rock and at times he lays sideways on the glass behind rocks. is this normal behavior? all water parim. are good. all other fish appear to be fine. he has been eating alittle. i am worried abut the laying down sideways. he does at times come out for a fast swim

sarge

IMO that does not sound good. My own experience with Blue Tangs is 0-3. All of mine did what you mention before dying. 2 of them had ick also. My tank is now a year and 7 months old and everyone is fine. I might be tempted to try again. I hope yours pulls through.

dreeves

If it is a blue hippo tang...that behavior is somewhat normal, well the laying down sideways part anyways.

officerricv

i have a 55 gal,bout 2 months old, i have only the blue hippo and 2 perculas. the tang is approx 2 inches and will trade him when he grows to large. i feed mysis frozen shrimp once a day, and and green marine algae seaweed sheets every 3 days

I have a baby blue tang in my 80. At night I've caught him face down in small holes in the rock. I've seen him sideways in small crevices. In fact I've seen him in just about every weird position inside the rocks imaginable. I think it's just the way he sleeps. When the lights come on he jumps up and goes about his business grazing algae of the rocks and glass.