Blue Tang

reed

I just got a blue tang and it wont Eat do you no what is should feed it I would like to know a lot of foods to feed it. THANKS!!!

kb

They love algae. Buy the green marine algae. I also feed mine flake,brine shrimp, and pellets.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
This is a vegetarian fish, but it will eat some meaty food too. You MUST, however, give it veggies.
Use good quality romainne lettuce, spinache and / or chop up some cooked carrots/peas for it. There are a variety of frozen foods for vegetarian fish, or you can get some algae if you have a local place that caters to oriental foods.

mainejo1

Reed, I have a new Naso and Yellow tang, and they took almost two days to eat, but now I can barely keep enough nori in the tank to feed them. You can get nori, or sushi seaweed at healthfood stores, or your LFS may carry it.

aescleah

if you can get a hold of some live brine shrimp. and use some vitimens or some frozen brine shrimp plus .though blue tangs are mostly herbivores. brine shrimp can make the diffence in the beginning .my heralds angelfish would not eat anything but brine now he eats everything just took him a while.
hope this helps
Ashley

kris

You feed your fish the most interesting things beth---I'm still hoping you'll publish that fishy cook-book that I know you've got enough recipies to fill!!!!
As far as your tang---try contacting your lfs where you bought him and ask what he was eating so you know you're offering something he'll eat, although they are not usually picky. HINT-If you are continually trying different foods that he is not eating your tank can become very polluted in a very short time--watch your levels.
[This message has been edited by Kris (edited 06-12-2000).]