Blue xenia

lizzy

Have any of you ever had or heard of blue xenia? My LFS has some blueish/purple colored coral that looks a lot like xenia but the polyps...or whatever you would call them with xenia are really tiny...like and 1/8th of an inch round. They have no idea what it is (and its not for sale) but its georgeous. I was looking around trying to figure out what it might be and i came across a website that had blue xenia for sale...but i dont know if its the same size as reg xenia or if its small...any ideas? The owner of the LFS said he's been looking everywhere to try to find the same coral but he hasnt had any luck. Any ideas would be appreciated cuz I WAAAANT SOME!!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Lizzy
http:///forum/post/2456800
Have any of you ever had or heard of blue xenia? My LFS has some blueish/purple colored coral that looks a lot like xenia but the polyps...or whatever you would call them with xenia are really tiny...like and 1/8th of an inch round. They have no idea what it is (and its not for sale) but its georgeous. I was looking around trying to figure out what it might be and i came across a website that had blue xenia for sale...but i dont know if its the same size as reg xenia or if its small...any ideas? The owner of the LFS said he's been looking everywhere to try to find the same coral but he hasnt had any luck. Any ideas would be appreciated cuz I WAAAANT SOME!!

Yep Blue Xenia.. noted to be one of the nicest colors in the aquarium not often found either. The lighting will be a dermining factor in the size of the polyps. Judging by what you see, you need to take into account the type of lights they are under.

grabbitt

I had some blue xenia in my tank and I love it, but it magically disappeared over a couple weeks while I had a friend looking after my tank..

lizzy

hmm no it doesnt look like that....maybe i'll see if i can take a pic of it next time i'm in there and post it...cuz i have no idea. it doesnt really have a huge base....kinda like zoas...like no stem it just grows on the rocks like really close to it...i dont know now i'm sounding really dumb....i'll just try to take a pic. but the polyps are blue...almost like periwinkle. thanks for your help though! watch for me to post in the next couple of days and see if you can figure it out for me!
that stinks about your blue xenia going "missing" i've been looking around and it looks like its not an easy thing to find.
theres a pic of blue xenia on marine garden...search that. the polyps look right but the color isnt quite right...i dunno...thats what made me think that it might be blue xenia. thanks!

kaybee

I think I have some of this stuff. It's been referred to as 'blue xenia' and even 'blue anthelia' at the LFS. From my subsequent searches online, however, I think it is actually Sarcothelia edmondsoni. Not sure if what I have is what you're referring to, but here is a pic of it (adjacent to some xenia for a size reference):
(a couple of months ago)

(same 'piece', with a noticeable spread)

kaybee

Not clavularia (as I understand that coral), the polyps are too small in size and diameter , and the stalks are shorter (these blue polyps are no more than 7mm in diameter and the stalks are 5mm in length, max).
If clavularia is available in this size, it could be it, though. But most clavularia polyps are similar in size to xenia (note the size difference between the two and also the small feather duster in the pic which dwarfs the blue polyps).

lizzy

Yes you found it!!! thats it!
do you know where i could get some online? pm me! How much did yours cost? how is it doing? what lighting do you have? would you be willing to frag it and send me some?? lol

nigerbang

Well...I was going to tell you to PM Viper but I see I was beat to the punch by the man himself...Hows it going these days?

kaybee

Originally Posted by Lizzy
http:///forum/post/2457654
Yes you found it!!! thats it!
do you know where i could get some online? pm me! How much did yours cost? how is it doing? what lighting do you have? would you be willing to frag it and send me some?? lol

Not sure where it can be found online. The piece I purchased cost $10 at the LFS. They sell larger pieces (basically larger rocks covered with it) for about $35-40, I think. I've got it under T5's. Sorry, but I'm not experienced in shipping corals, and I've only had it for a couple of months (but judging by how much it has spread in that time, it might be a borderline invasive coral...as it doubled its area coverage in about 2 months).