Blueleg and Scarlet Hermits....do They work well together?

pbega

I have heard that blue legs will eat scarlets. Is this true? I am looking at buying a reef package from SWF for my 90, considering just getting the Giant (last package), but want to make sure before hand.

gliderpt

I'm a newbee, so take what I say with a grain of salt...
Personally I will NEVER get blue legs again. 20 blue legs managed to take out about 10-15 snails, about the same number of scarlets, and have worked themselves down to about 10. this is in a 40 gallon tank with about 50#s of LR. Its not uncoman for me to see 3 or 4 blue legs all fighting each other to get a shell. Also, they only seem to like FRESH shells, and size DOES NOT MATTER. I've seen blue legs kill a scarlet only to find that it's shell is about 75% SMALLER than his current shell. I've had to put some of my scarlets in my refugium to keep them alive! And yes, I have about 40 loose shells scattered around the tank, as well as more than enough food to keep everybody happy (both veg and meat).
Sorry if I sound a little 'intense' but I'm regretting ever getting them. I wish they had not been bunndled into the U-Build-It package I bought.

danrw84

havent had a problem with my blue legged hermits yet. darn. didnt know that. just got 5 more today!!
found this:
The Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab or simply Blue Leg Hermit Crab, has blue legs with red banding. Both claws are of equal size, and members of this genus are sometimes called "Equal-handed Hermit Crabs". This tiny crab lives in abandoned snail shells, or it may attack and eat the snail, then use the shell for its home.
The Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab is a valuable addition to an aquarium because it will eat algae including green hair algae and cyanobacteria. In addition, it provides valuable aeration by sifting through the sand. It is one of the Hermit Crabs that is reef-safe.
If insufficient algae is present, the Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab will need to be fed dried seaweed.

fishfood

My blue legs didn't kill my snails but my scarlets didn't last long. I only have snails now other than two emerald crab and will probably not get anymore crabs. I can't anyway because my six line wrasse loves them. He ate my cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp and all of my blue legs(30 i would guess) Just do a u build it and get a bunch of scarlet hermits if you don't want the blue legs.

entice59

man after reading this post yesterday i didnt want to believe my hermits could do such a thing, this morning i woke up and saw the hermit trying to grab the snail out of the shell, if i wasnt there the snail would have been a goner...
a few days earlier i was happy to see my bumble bee snail was alive and healthy, it actually moved to the front of the tank but the hermits just darted right after it, again i had to seperate the hermits and the snail but that would be a cool look for the hermit but its obviously too small for it, so why try?

pbega

Thanks to those of you the responded. I think I will just get snails, scarletts, and extra SHELLS. Leave the blue legs alone.

jhead

So that's where they went. I was wondering why they didn't last very long. I started with about 30 red, and 5 blues. I now have 5 blues and 10 reds. Go figure. Great info. Thanks for the post.