Boiling my LR

lazboy

Well, As the pic shows i have a aiptasia problem! Tried pretty much everything no success..I put four Peppermint Shrimp in almost two months ago they havnt done sh*t:( So know i am thinking of pulling all the infected LR out and boiling it..Can anyone give my some pointers on doing this? Like how long to boil the LR?? How long before i sould put it in the tank after boiling it? How to put the LR back into the tank? We are talk about 50lbs of LR...Thanks for any help

lazboy

pic#2 If you close enough you can see my little friends..Well ove a hundred of them....

lazboy

No I am not sure..They look like Peppermint Shrimp but not 100%.So i take camelbacks look like Peppermint Shrimp? I will do a search on camelbacks and see what i can find.Where i got them they said they were Peppermint Shrimp..

dsa_mom

Draw up some very hot water in a syringe(no needle)--you may have one from a testing kit--and "inject" it into the center of the stuff. I don't know if this will work with the healthy growth you have, but that's what the boiling water method is all about. You must realize that you don't really want to boil your rock. Sounds like you are really frustrated, though! Some ppl inject a strong Ca solution and that seems to work, too. Good luck.

chinnyr

Sorry for your frustration.I never knew that the stuff can take over like that.I would'nt do anything to your rocks because it looks like you have a good established system.As for the shrimp I would definatly check into it to see if you do actually have peps or not.I had about 25 apstasia in my tank and two peppermint shrimp took care of them overnight.Good luck!

lazboy

Thanks, zafirablanca & dsa_mom, Not sure what i am looking for on that link you gave me zafirablanca..
dsa_mom, Yes i tried the boiling water method, Got me no where it..Also try a few othere methods but it seems to maks them spread faster:(
I was told on these sit about boiling the LR just because it was so covered with aiptasia, it would probely be better to just boil the whole LR.. And yes I am really frustrated with these aiptasia

lazboy

Well after looking real good at the shrimp in my tank and looking at a bunch photos, I can say that the shrimp i have are definatly peppermint shrimp and not camelbacks.Not sure why they wont eat them..I did remember reading something about the peppermint shrimp wont eat the aiptasia if they are bigger then the shrimp.If i had to say most of the aiptasias are bigger then the shrimp..Not sure what i should do now :(

j21kickster

i would boil the few pieces that have a lot- and then inject the others with liquid calcium- you will loose the bacteria and other organisms on the rock but they will recolonize in a short time.

herkemer

Buy some pickling lime at the grocery store and mix some in boiling water. Suck it up in a syringe and give those aipstasia a snort of the solution. They'll shrivel up and die in no time flat! I use a very small syringe with a fine needle so I don't overdose the tank. If you can get the needle into them is the best but if not just shoot it right on them and it will kill them.

pufferfreak

Maybe try buying a copperbanded butterfly and return him once all of that stuff is gone, most likely from the looks of it he might end up being a keeper.

T

thomas712

Pull out the bigger ones by hand. NO WAY! These guys are prolific on there own. You start tearing into them and they will just come back even more severe, the spores will be everywhere.
Thomas

USE KALK !!! Mix some kalkwasser in a little bowl to make a THICK paste. Draw it up in a syring (no needle) and squirt a little at the "mouth" of the aiptasia. Within 2 days, they will turn a nasty brown and die. I have done this in 2 doses and have none of the old coming back. Just work in sections to ensire you don't miss any.

j21kickster

forget the copperband- i feel that this is a poor suggestion that is way over recomended- most dont ship and live for verry long at all- he has too many for a copperband to controll- AND not all of them eat them;)