Bone Rock

kellig

Has anyone ever heard of this rock?? It was named to me as "Texas bone rock". It is white, and quite porus and has lots of holes in it.
Very heavy, even though just looking at it it has so many holes in it it gives the impression it would be light as a feather.
I have a very cool piece in my tank, but I cant keep my pH stable.

I am wondering if this rock is the cause.

Everything in my tank is doing great, lots of coralline growth etc, just this!
I just did my monthly water change and pH just wont stay in the normal range.
Any suggestions???

sly

What's your pH doing? Do you know your calcium, alkalinity or magnesium levels? Do you dose anything in your tank? (calcium supplement, purple up, etc.)

big

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2804245
What's your pH doing? Do you know your calcium, alkalinity or magnesium levels? Do you dose anything in your tank? (calcium supplement, purple up, etc.)
I had never heard of it, so I Googled it.... Only pace I found the term was here....If any one of the critical levels is out of whack, a stable PH is hard to keep. Especially a low Alkalinity........... Like said ,I would think this may be the issue as opposed to the rock, being that everything else is doing OK. ........... Even if the rock is contributing to the issue, eventually it will have leached out most all of the PH troubling agents.........
When someone has a PH issue, may times it is a inadequate gas exchange one..........
In other words....... Is the a glass top on the tank??????????

grubsnaek

you can find mass amounts on e bay. it is lime rock i believe. many have stayed away from it in saltwater aquariums. they are largely used in cichlid tanks