book for a beginner

abrand

Was wondering what all you experts recommend for a beginner to indulge in to get a grasp on all the basics. I have set up a small starter tank but still thought it would be a good idea to learn from a book.
Thanks in advance

florida joe

Also go to the library and see what they have. Check and see if your local area has a club you can join you can get a wealth of info taking to people first hand Your lfs may be able to direct you to clubs

trinette02

I'm a newbie myself... But I had a LFS tell me to get Marine Fishes by Scoot W. Michael and I like it... Gives you Max length - Min tank size - Aquarium Suitability- Captive Care- Foods Etc

girlina4x4

Originally Posted by trinette02
http:///forum/post/2877369
I'm a newbie myself... But I had a LFS tell me to get Marine Fishes by Scoot W. Michael and I like it... Gives you Max length - Min tank size - Aquarium Suitability- Captive Care- Foods Etc

Great book, there is also a companion book called Marine Invertabrates, with the same layout

ret talbot

Welcome to the hobby!
I can't say enough great things about my good friend Bob Fenner and his essential text--The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. No marine aquarist should be without it. Make sure you get the new edition--there are some worthwhile changes. Scott's books are very good, as is just about anything published by Microcosm (James Lawrence is in charge over there, and he has done a VERY good job bringing some of the best and most reliable information to readers). I also really like The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium by Svein Fossa and Alf Jacob Nilsen. There is some great technical information in it that you won't find in other hobbyist books. Also check out Nilsen's Reef Secrets. Finally, I just reviewed (actually it was probably half a year ago now...lol) The Marine Fish Health and Feeding Handbook (Goemans and Ichinotsubo), which is IMO very, very good (although I do disagree with some of what they say).
In short, take nothing for Gospel and keep an open mind. This is a great hobby, and there are many excellent books to help the beginner get his feet (err) wet.
Good luck!
Ret

www.SaltwaterSense.com
p.s. By the way, my book will be coming out VERY soon, and it has a CD-ROM with beta (and pictures!) on over 1000 animals! Whoa! lol....do check it out as well if you like...