Books for saltwater tank,

jadallen

Are there any books you would recommend for a beginner to read? I am looking into setting up a reef tank and I am really hoping to find some good info on what type of equipment I will need. Also, I am would like to know what to look for in regards to certain types of equipment.

lion_crazz

Oh, I hate that book. There is so much misinformation in there.
-"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner is the best "beginner" book
-"Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species" by Scott W. Michael is essential to have when researching fish
-"Aquarium Corals" by Eric H. Borneman is wonderful when you get into corals.

reef diver

i might reccomend The New Marine Aquarium very informative, it even has checklists for you to use when stocking and finding your supplies, and actually setting up the tank.

maeistero

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Oh, I hate that book. There is so much misinformation in there.
-"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner is the best "beginner" book
watch what you read in this one. i had to look back and check the original publishing date after some of the stuff i read in there. it's old information.
good science at the time and most is still relevant, but it is getting too old to recommend now.
imho :thinking:

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by maeistero
watch what you read in this one. i had to look back and check the original publishing date after some of the stuff i read in there. it's old information.
good science at the time and most is still relevant, but it is getting too old to recommend now.
imho :thinking:
Just for conversation's sake, can you name anything off hand? I still refer to that book and I am always recommending it to people. I don't think there is any beginner's book like it..

maeistero

unfortunately i can't. i really don't recommend any books other than that one also yet. i just try to tell people to take it with a grain of salt and use the net for a group forum advice. it does give a general sense of the hobby, but there are many things that are misguided. i should've highlighted them when i was reading it. thought about it and decided to go on reading dangit.
hmmmm.... it's about time someone wrote a new scientist's point of view beginners book. i think there's a newer book that someone has been promoting, but i can't remember where i saw it. after awhile you just stop reading them and do your own thing that works in your area.
eric's coral books are insanely good, but i'm not sure that many beginners will be willing to go the distance or spend the money/time to appreciate it. or should for that matter.

lion_crazz

unfortunately i can't. i really don't recommend any books other than that one also. i just try to tell people to take it with a grain of salt and use the net for a group forum advice. it does give a general sense of the hobby, but there are many things that are misguided. i should've highlighted them when i was reading it. thought about it and decided to go on reading dangit.
Yeah, that is a good way to look at it!

hmmmm.... it's about time someone wrote a new scientist's point of view beginners book.
I agree!

S

sinner's girl

"Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species" by Debbie & Stan Hauter is essential to have when researching fish
:notsure: umm...my "Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species" is by Scott W. Michael....
Also I have "Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species" by Ronald Skimek
both books have lots of info and colored pics of each species!

evanwv19

Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner is a great book...but for a beginner I would recommend The New Marine Aquarium by Micheal S Paletta. I feel that it focuses more on beginners topics and explains them in more detail.. Once you've read that one about....10 or more times ( and you will :happyfish ) Then I would definatly recommend The Conscientious" Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner

S

surfinusa

500 ways to be a better saltwater fish keeper its a pretty good book and the marine aquarium problem solver is a good one too

jojo_b

I don't mean to hijack, but since we are talking about books, is there a basic sw chemistry one that someone would recommend?
Fenner touches the subject, but only lightly

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Jojo_B
I don't mean to hijack, but since we are talking about books, is there a basic sw chemistry one that someone would recommend?
WHen you say chemistry, what do you mean?

phixer

Originally Posted by Jojo_B
Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium by John H. Tullock.
Fenners book is less than 10 years old, it was revised in 2001? what information contained in it seems outdated? He also has a website and routinely answers email. Ive emailed him on several occasions.

T

tampausmc

-"Aquarium Corals" by Eric H. Borneman is wonderful when you get into corals.

this is a great book.....one of the best that i've read

jojo_b

WHen you say chemistry, what do you mean?
I mean something to help me understand what is chemically happening with my tank water. Like more detail into the relationship between ph and alk, and the calcium cycle; details like that. At the moment I only know enough to go searching for help from my colleagues, but I'd like get a better understanding myself. At least so I'll know better which questions to ask for maximum efficiency.
Thanks Phixer, I'll check out the Tullock book.