Bottom Cleaner in aggressive tank

dennish

I've enjoyed having crabs in my brackish tank (fidler), and in my new marine tank (hermits), but I will soon be ready to add a Porcupine puffer, and later possibly a clown trigger, so obviously the crabs would soon be "on the menu" rather than "on the job" cleaning the bottom. What can I use that would do a good job of bottom cleaning and not become a snack?
If there is something- should I add them first? I have a 46 gallon bowfront so I would need something that would not be too space demanding.
- Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

fishgirl

I have yet to hear of any invert that is not considered lunch to a trigger, but sometimes you get lucky and the trigger will ignore one of your inverts for no apparent reason. So, IMO, it matters more on the individual trigga than the species of invert. Personally, I wouldn't chance it. Keep your inverts in the tank you have, and set up a 55gal fish-only for your puffer and trigger, decorated with dead corals, rocks, shells, etc. and feed them meaty foods, and don't add any other fish. These species like thier elbow room, and I'd suggest a juvi clown trig.

fishgirl

PS I was at my LFS yesterday and saw the cuttest porky puffer that was only about 2" and imediatley thought of you! I can't belive it -- I don't know any of you here on this BB but I'm always thinking about all your problems, wants, and triumphs. I guess I'm WAY too obsessed!!
hehehe

dennish

Thanks Fishgirl, for thinking of me when you saw the puffer. I am having some difficulty find one locally, and am considering MO when I'm ready.
As for the bottom cleaners- I was thinking more along the line of bottom feeding fish, not inverts. I might get lucky with a placid puffer for a while with some crabs, but if I get the Trigger- well, "hasta la vista, invert!" (sorry if I slaughtered the spelling on that)