Bought a 16g nuvo, need some help!

I

itsjimmytwoshoe

Hello everyone,
I finally committed and bought my first tank. I know, everyone is going to say, "you shouldve gone bigger. I have a buddy who is willing to help me whenever I have issues and I know the internet can benefit me. Reason I did it is because its the first way I can jump in to the hobby comfortably and financially.
With that being said. I bought a 16g, I plan on doing a reef & fish tank. I know the 1 inch per gallon rule, but I also know dont rush or over stock. Some advice on fish and critters in there would be great. Also im interested in soft corals and wouldnt mind some help with that.
I already have my heart set on a pom pom crab and a maxima blue clam (I know ill sub the clam out when it gets to big, hopefully I will have a bigger tank by then.)
Any other advice would be great. Thank you,

sweatervest13

Hi and Welcome,
Yes, nano tanks are harder to keep, but nothing close to impossible. You will just need to be on top of your tank maintenance. I would suggest weekly 5-8 gallon water changes at least to start before you adjust. You can also get the Nuvo line of skimmers, this should help keep the water parameters more steady.
You mentioned something about fish and 1" per gallon. This is rubbish. No such thing for SW tanks. A 16g tank will be limited to what you can keep in there, but there are lots of good choices (research nano fish).
The lights that come with the Nuvo (skkylight) are not the most powerful. IDK if it will support any clam. The light does support most soft corals (mushrooms, Zoa's,Xenia, some LPS {torch, frogspawn}). You could have a very cool looking tank with lots of soft corals flowing back and forth in the current. Speaking of current, I would suggest getting a powerhead for the tank. 1 should be just fine. They also make a spinstream attachment for the Nuvo line that attaches to the output nozzle of the return pump.
Good luck and have fun!!!

I

itsjimmytwoshoe

Sorry, didn't specify. I did buy a power head for the tank. Do you have any suggestions on reasonably priced lighting for the tank?

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsjimmytwoshoe http:///t/395688/bought-a-16g-nuvo-need-some-help#post_3523364
Sorry, didn't specify. I did buy a power head for the tank. Do you have any suggestions on reasonably priced lighting for the tank?
the Skyylight is just fine. Unless you wanted to keep the super light hungry corals (anemone's and clams included). The light that comes with the nuvo's is a decent light, but there is a threshold on what it can keep. I would cut your teeth with this current setup for 6 months to a year. Then if you want to upgrade the light because you want SPS coral, or a clam then take a look at what's out there.
You would be looking at spending just about as much as you did on the whole setup for a great light to keep some of the higher end corals and clams. Shoot, you may want to upgrade the tank size later, so why spend extra money on a light now. That's is just my thoughts about it though. Others might chime in and say something different.
If still interested in upgrading your lights, check out Reefbreeders dot com.

I

itsjimmytwoshoe

Yeah, one of my friends has them and has alternating currents in his. If I can get pictures of his I will.

kajunram12

I have the same set up with 20lbs of rock, 20lbs of sand, 2 clowns, 1 watchman goby, a few sets of Zoanthids, a sand anemone, and a clean up crew (hermits, snails, shrimp)... love it. Idk if you have purchased a media reactor, or protein skimmer yet. but i strongly recommend the ones by Innovative Marine. Check out my set up
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/395332/nuvo-16